Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Boris Yen <yu...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/13 09:38:41 UTC

inconsistent counter value?

I posted a comment for Cassandra-3006 after 0.8.4 is released, but it seems
not be noticed there, so I re-post here, wondering if anyone could help.
-------------------------------
Follow the same steps posted on Cassandra-3006, after step 11, I check the
counter on .152, the counter values changes from 1001 to 200. And then I
follow the steps 12 and 13. The counter value of .151 is still 1001, but the
counter value of .152 is still 200. After  changing the consistencylevel to
quorum and do the read again, this time the counter value of .152 became
1001.
I am kind of confused, because at step 10, I can get 1001 on both nodes, how
come the value of .152 changes to 200 when .151 is down. Is this the right
behavior of current design?

Regards
Boris

Re: inconsistent counter value?

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Boris Yen <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I posted a comment for Cassandra-3006 after 0.8.4 is released, but it seems
> not be noticed there, so I re-post here, wondering if anyone could help.
> -------------------------------
> Follow the same steps posted on Cassandra-3006, after step 11, I check the
> counter on .152, the counter values changes from 1001 to 200. And then I
> follow the steps 12 and 13. The counter value of .151 is still 1001, but the
> counter value of .152 is still 200. After  changing the consistencylevel to
> quorum and do the read again, this time the counter value of .152 became
> 1001.
> I am kind of confused, because at step 10, I can get 1001 on both nodes, how
> come the value of .152 changes to 200 when .151 is down. Is this the right
> behavior of current design?

This "may" be due to the fact that by default the commit log is only synced to
disk every 10 seconds. Typically, if you do some insert, check the node and
get 1001 and shut it down within 10 seconds of some of the inserts, those
inserts won't have been synced in the commit log. If that is what you see, this
is not related to counters.

--
Sylvain