Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com> on 2022/12/13 14:52:30 UTC

[VOTE] Informal vote: Merging 2.3-next jsf.jf into 2.3.x?

Hello everyone, sorry for the informal vote, but Paul Nicolucci had the
idea.

We had the discussion before, and no one really has objected, but I want to
vote on this.
The issue is:
We have divergent codebases for the jsf.js for 2.3 between next and 2.3.x
and 4.0
next was derived from 2.3 but got rid of tons of legacy code and hence
uplifted the browser baseline to IE9 atm.
This is becoming a maintenance burden because I basically have to maintain
4 different code branches for every fix.
2.3
2.3-next
4.0
and 4.0 Typescript which will replace 4.0 hopefully soon.

On top of that we have a ton of custom parameters I want to cut down like
expanded, complete at... which load different aspects of the build
my goal is to have only development and production with development being
an uncompressed build and production being a compressed build.
I18n also will be phased ont on the javascript side and an include of its
own (i18n is deprecated anyway, no one really used it to my knowledge and
the RI does
not have it)

The thing is I merged all this recently into 2.3 given that there was no
negative feedback, but I can revert this change easily. Given that
2.3 is a stable codebase, it is better to vote on this before either
keeping it that way or reverting it back. Some users might rely on older
browsers still
and cutting them off from a stable branch might be a bad idea.

So here is my Question

Do we want this, less code on the jsf.js side, reduced configuration, but
also lifting the browser baseline and that in a stable branch?

Yes or no?

Please do a proper vote with +1 being YES, and -1 being NO!

This is an informal vote, from my side!

Werner

Re: [VOTE] Informal vote: Merging 2.3-next jsf.jf into 2.3.x?

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
Sorry to add something here. I mean I still can use the old codebase, but
everything I fix there I only can verify against newer browsers, with IE11
being the baseline and even that will be gone in 2 months!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
I merged now the changes into 2.3 basically 2.3 and 2.3-next share the same
code as well to some degree 3.0.

(I may will work also in an automated mechanism to switch namespaces like
we have it in the new codebase, so that all 3 branches share then really
the same code)

The thing is, the 2.3 code has not changed that much but some ie specific
code now has been moved as previously stated, into
the already existing shim layer (quirks classes)

That way we can theoretically re-add those shims into 2.3-next as well, but
practically I already have readded them to 3.x! We still
can remove them for 3 if anyone objects but then you will lose ie
compatibility.

To remove them you just have to remove the quirks classes from the assembly
xml files.

The good thing is, that all fixes except 4040 have now also made it into
3.0 that way. I will do the necessary backend fixes for MYFACES-4040
for the 3.0 branch tomorrow.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Melloware <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Volodymyr Siedlecki via dev <de...@myfaces.apache.org>.
Hi,

From: Paul Nicolucci <pn...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 2:13 PM
To: MyFaces Development <de...@myfaces.apache.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [VOTE] Informal vote: Merging 2.3-next jsf.jf into 2.3.x?
I agree with Thomas and I'll go further, I think we should only be doing bug fixes in releases previous to the current 4. 0 release to avoid causing any problems in versions of MyFaces already released and being used. For example, removing
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an Untrusted Sender
You have not previously corresponded with this sender.
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
I agree with Thomas and I'll go further, I think we should only be doing bug fixes in releases previous to the current 4.0 release to avoid causing any problems in versions of MyFaces already released and being used. For example, removing browser support in 2.3/3.0 should be a no-go.

Regards,

Paul Nicolucci

Posted by Paul Nicolucci <pn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.

werner.punz@gmail.com>:

> Yes I was a little bit too verbose, sorry about that.
> The proposal simply is to sync the jsf.js codebase between 2.3-next and
> 2.3 so that they basically use the same js files.
> plus side less maintenance, downside, browser cutoff is ie9! So the jsf.js
> from 2.3-next also should become the jsf.js codebase of 2.3.x
>

> Am Di., 13. Dez. 2022 um 16:07 Uhr schrieb Paul Nicolucci <
> pnicolucci@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hey Werner,
>>
>> To be complete here, what is the proposal for 3.0?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Paul Nicolucci
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 9:54 AM Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone, sorry for the informal vote, but Paul Nicolucci had the
>>> idea.
>>>
>>> We had the discussion before, and no one really has objected, but I want
>>> to vote on this.
>>> The issue is:
>>> We have divergent codebases for the jsf.js for 2.3 between next and
>>> 2.3.x and 4.0
>>> next was derived from 2.3 but got rid of tons of legacy code and hence
>>> uplifted the browser baseline to IE9 atm.
>>> This is becoming a maintenance burden because I basically have to
>>> maintain 4 different code branches for every fix.
>>> 2.3
>>> 2.3-next

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Nicolucci <pn...@gmail.com>.