Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/07/06 17:09:36 UTC

JPL config file

I've exchanged a few emails with one of the responsible people at
JPL. He indicates the following:

> Our web site is split across two servers, www-a.jpl.nasa.gov and
> www-b.jpl.nasa.gov.  These are both mirrors of a third machine,
> www-onlab.jpl.nasa.gov.  The www-onlab machine is restricted to
> JPL internal access only.  Www-a and www-b share the load of
> accesses to www.jpl.nasa.gov via round-robin DNS.  All of our
> machines are Sun Ultra 1's (170 MHz) with 64 MB of memory and
> something like 11 gigs of disk each.  We're running Apache httpd
> 1.2b7.

The first problem looks like a shortage of memory, but he goes on
to say that the CPU is 90% idle. I have asked about listen queue
size but don't have that data yet. Being Solaris, they might
benefit from 1.2.1.

Relevant config is below. Basically a stock httpd.conf file with
comments removed (by me). They could probably safely raise the
MaxRequestPerChild value, but based on the CPU load, I don't think
that it is forking a lot.

I've not made any recommendation other than memory at this point.
If someone here would like to contact them directly, send me
private email.

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> [...]

If they are stuck for processes to answer requests, booting a few of the
slow clients off is a good thing. 20 minutes ? anyone would think the
link is directly to Mars itself. 2 minutes is probably more than enough.

> MinSpareServers 100
> MaxSpareServers 200
> StartServers 100
> MaxClients 512
> MaxRequestsPerChild 50
>
> ------- End of Forwarded Message

does this make us rocket scientists ?

Re: JPL config file

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
Yup, his biggest problem is memory.  He may want to bump down MaxClients a
bit; he could get better performance if the machine isn't swapping to
hell.

Compiling with the fewest possible modules could help the memory a bit.

Unfortunately, if I were him with such resources (64 meg is nothing,
especially on a RISC box) my best solution would be Zeus.  Apache performs
well, but one process per request just can't compare to one process for
everything if you don't have the memory.

I note he has a ScoreBoardFile directive... verify that it is compiled to
MMAP it (in which case ScoreBoardFile does nothing), as is the default for
Solaris, if that is what is running.

Re: JPL config file

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
You asked them to upgrade to 1.2 right?  The networking and other
performance improvements went in after 1.2b7.

Dean