Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2012/11/01 21:44:53 UTC

Git?

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201211.mbox/%3C798BB60C-BEEF-4B38-ACF3-2738A07D6595%40oracle.com%3E

I am not following infra-dev, but the question of Git came up on the incubator list in an unrelated thread (see the link above). I'd love if we could do away with svn and git-svn and go Git all the way. Anyone has any insight on where Infra stands on that and how to sign up Cayenne for Git switchover?

Andrus

Re: Git?

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
Nice.  Maybe I could check out 3.2 then.  :-)

Re: Git?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Git?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Good to know. Thanks.

Re: Git?

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 03/03/2013 03:48 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Just found this Jira about Wicket migration to Git:

> It has just enough info for us to kickstart the process I hope. So before I open a similar Jira, I guess we need to decide 2 things:
>
> 1. who'll be our infra/git volunteers. I am ready to be one. We'll likely need one more.

 From what I can tell, they aren't looking for volunteers from the

Re: Git?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Mar 3, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:

> Since I sometimes lurk around infra, I'd be happy to help.

Great, thanks!

> However, I am not clear on what the goals are. Is this mainly about being able to commit offline? Or is there a goal to attract new developers with a better github experience?

Git is just a different tool. It is not just about working offline (although this is certainly there). It is a different workflow for dealing with the patches, merging, etc. Even "git log -p" would warrant a migration :) While I am using git on the client over git-svn, the SVN backend is often a hindrance.

The GitHub angle is about ease of collaboration - people who are tweaking and fixing Cayenne for their own purpose will have a much easier mechanism to contribute back and maintain their fixes until we review and commit. Though I guess this is entirely possible already with GitHub SVN mirrors (and I am not holding my breath that we'd suddenly get an surge in contributions because of that :)). So that's just streamlining things.

> Since one of the limitations of git is that you cannot clone less than the whole project, I think we should consider splitting http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/trunk/docs/ into a separate repo, with tutorials under it.

Then we'll face a problem of releasing code from multiple repos. I am actually all for better modularity, and docs is a good candidate to be taken out of the main project. Maybe we migrate things as is initially and then think how to split it better on the other end?

BTW the docbook version of our docs is very compact, so it shouldn't create much overhead for anyone. Current "main" git clone from GitHub is about 98 MB in size. This includes our entire history, including probably some jar binaries from pre-maven days. Uncompressed docs are 4.2 MB. I guess we may decide to split pre-3.0 code to get a smaller repo, but probably not worth the trouble.

> I don't agree about leaving 'archive' behind in svn, unless we are sure we never want anyone to find or work on those resources ever again. Once the main repo is moved, no-one is likely to work on an old archive repository.

I am fine if we move everything over. Even though nobody is working on any of those.

Andrus

Re: Git?

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
Since I sometimes lurk around infra, I'd be happy to help. However, I am not clear on what the goals are. Is this mainly about being able to commit offline? Or is there a goal to attract new developers with a better github experience?

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Git?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Git?

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.

Re: Git?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Apache Cordova is using git too. They have done a lots in that area, I
would ask for advise there too.

That said, I asked a few times how to "get git for my project", and the
answer is always: actively do $x. I found never out what $x acutally means.
Maybe its worth to ping infra again in that matter.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Git?