Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Harikrishna Patnala <Ha...@shapeblue.com> on 2023/05/01 06:20:35 UTC

Re: [PROPOSE] RM for 4.19.0

+1, thanks for volunteering and good luck Abhishek.

Regards,
Harikrishna

From: Abhishek Kumar <Ab...@shapeblue.com>
Date: Sunday, 30 April 2023 at 10:23 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>, users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: [PROPOSE] RM for 4.19.0
Dear All,

I would like to propose and put myself forward as the release manager for 4.19.0 release. In the past, I've RM'd 4.17.1.0 release and co-RM'd a couple of releases before that. I would like to take experiences from those to work on a successful release.

I propose we start early, sometime in Q3 2023, with the planning, triaging, bug-fixing, etc to get back on the traditional two-release per year cycle. With this we can aim to cut the RC sometime in October. I will propose a detailed timeline soon.

I hope to have your support. Please let me know if you have any thoughts/comments.

Regards,
Abhishek

Re: [PROPOSE] RM for 4.19.0

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 12:01 PM Abhishek Kumar <sh...@apache.org> wrote:

> Daan, Rohit and others,
>
> Personally, I don't see log4j2 PR alone or one particular feature/PR that
> can be the reason for managing the release. Though I certainly understand
> it may create some additional work for the RM.

I definitely agree with you on that, Abhishek. But whether you or Daniel is
the RM, we still need to conclude in aggreement on this point before we can
think of a release in my opinion.
For users (and maybe to a lesser degree to operators) it might not seem as
a  big functional change, but it going be *a* defining feature for
developers.

Since Daniel also has an interest in being the RM for the 4.19 release, is

--
Daan

Re: [PROPOSE] RM for 4.19.0

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [PROPOSE] RM for 4.19.0

Posted by Abhishek Kumar <sh...@apache.org>.
Daan, Rohit and others,

Re: [PROPOSE] RM for 4.19.0

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 11:19 AM Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks for volunteering Abhishek. As you've worked already as a RM for
> CloudStack LTS maintenance releases that you've shared and I think you have
> all the necessary experience to work as the 4.19 RM.
>
> Daan, I don't see any mention of log4j on this thread or feel that
> Abhishek has disregarded the log4j issue. As an individual contributor,
> he's well within his rights to volunteer as a release manager and share his
> opinion and thoughts in the community in this or any other threads.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, there is no mention of log4j on this thread, but
there is mention of RM work on the log4j thread [2].

[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/t62rp2pzsrl21vjlqbdgg49kmdxgjxgd

I am not saying that either Daniel or Abhishek should be the RM, but the
work that we are going to have should be agreed upon. Having two RM
candidates is a luxury we should not squander. If they can join efforts and
get to a mutual supported plan that would be ideal.

We shouldn't force or expect anybody to conclude a discussion in a way we
> would want. We must all conduct and treat one another professionally and
> politely on the mailing lists [1].

In short, I stand by my previous mail on this thread. This is provided
there is no misunderstanding on what was meant.

--
Daan

Re: [PROPOSE] RM for 4.19.0

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.