Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Gunther Heppner <GH...@esri.com.INVALID> on 2021/04/29 17:13:18 UTC

Gzip decompression not applied with Apache CachingHttpClient version 5.0.3

Hi,

We are in the process of migrating from Apache HttpClient 4.5 to 5.0.3. Since we want to do client side http caching we are using CachingHttpClientBuilder to set up the HttpClient. With version 4.5.x this works fine and gzip-encoded responses are automatically decompressed. However, with version 5.0.3, the responses are returned as uncompressed ByteArrayEntity and the Conent-Encoding header is missing from the returned ByteArrayEntity, which prevents the default gzip decompression to be applied.

I think this might be a bug and I have posted more details in this stackoverflow post<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67318260/gzip-decompression-not-working-with-apache-cachinghttpclient-version-5-0-3>. Has anybody observed this issue? Could there be a workaround?

Thanks for any help.

Regards
Gunther Heppner

Re: Gzip decompression not applied with Apache CachingHttpClient version 5.0.3

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

On 4/29/2021 7:13 PM, Gunther Heppner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of migrating from Apache HttpClient 4.5 to 5.0.3. Since we want to do client side http caching we are using CachingHttpClientBuilder to set up the HttpClient. With version 4.5.x this works fine and gzip-encoded responses are automatically decompressed. However, with version 5.0.3, the responses are returned as uncompressed ByteArrayEntity and the Conent-Encoding header is missing from the returned ByteArrayEntity, which prevents the default gzip decompression to be applied.
>
> I think this might be a bug and I have posted more details in this stackoverflow post<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67318260/gzip-decompression-not-working-with-apache-cachinghttpclient-version-5-0-3>. Has anybody observed this issue? Could there be a workaround?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Regards
> Gunther Heppner

Hi Gunther

Please a JIRA for this issue and provide a test case reproducing this
defect. I will take a look at it.

Oleg