Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2003/10/06 23:16:21 UTC

Re: Preparing Multiple DynaValidatorForm?s with one action

Hi Pat,

are you sure you've got the best approach? Trying to shoe-horn two forms
into one request tells me generally (when it happens to me) that I
should refactor the design of whatever use-case I'm working on.

If I have a submit to one action mapping that on success must forward to
another action mapping with a completely different form, I use a
re-direct. Of course it drops all the data in-between but you're better
off in the long run.

Adam

On 10/06/2003 06:09 PM Pat Quinn wrote:
> I currently have an action (Action A) which is associated with
> Action_Form_A ( i.e. org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm) i
> want to forward to another tile definition which requires Action_Form_B.
> I want to initialise a List in Action_Form_B how can i do this as the
> action i'm currently in only knows about ACTION_FORM_A. I only want to
> intialise actionforms within a common action i'll have seperate action
> to deal with submits.
>
> I've tried casting the inbound Action Form to type DynaValidator and
> calling the relevant set methods but this fails as you'd expect as its
> referencing ACTION_FORM_A only.
>
> Next i tried to create a new instance of DynaValidator & called initialise:
>
> DynaValidatorForm dynaForm2 = new DynaValidatorForm();
> dynaForm2.initialize(pMapping);
> dynaForm2.set("name", "Joe Bloggs";
>
> This too fails with a nullpointer... i could forward to another action
> which prepares the actionform for the next view... is there another way
> i could do this?

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9