Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2021/12/17 17:07:43 UTC

[LAZY CONSENSUS] GitHub issues migration

Following on from the recent email discussion on GitHub issues at
https://lists.apache.org/thread/9m74s6xl2zqwnfoq2tn391fvy2kqwcpr and
the current lack of someone willing / able to address the concerns in
JIRA ..

I'm seeking lazy consensus on enabling GitHub issues and discussions
on the NetBeans repository, and porting Apache Airflow's model process
/ configuration to meet our requirements. The aim will be to use this
for tracking issues in release candidates starting from mid-January
when we branch off for NetBeans 13, with a full switch on release of
NetBeans 13.

See the wiki page on the full details of Airflow's process and best
practice advice at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=191332632

From a release management perspective (frankly from any perspective!)
the current JIRA process is not working for us. Aside from the missing
synchronization of status, review, assignment, milestones, changes,
etc., we are meant to have a release process that prioritizes critical
and blocking issues after branching. That is not happening in any
viable way, and through each release I've been involved in RM'ing it's
got worse.

Some key points or divergences from the wiki page linked -

- We will not be migrating current JIRA issues en-masse. Do re-open
select criticals / blockers in 12.6 that still need addressing in 13
at branch!
- The primary change record will be pull requests (not the current mix
of JIRA and PR). No more need for extra issues just for this purpose.
There will be a maintainers only issue category for task / meta issue
tracking.
- We will have similar forms to Airflow ( see
https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/new/choose ) with required
fields, automatic labelling, links to other sources of help, etc.
We'll use automation via workflows where useful.
- We will triage aggressively. Only issues that are reproducible in
the latest release, actionable, and not a won't-fix should remain
open. Everything else will be closed or converted to discussions as
and until an actionable issue can be created.
- We will keep issue prioritization in our hands. We will also look to
add labelling for regressions - realistically it's critical
*regressions*, as well as blockers, we most need to prioritize for
releases. And aside from this proposal, we really should revise the
issue priority criteria we inherited.
- We won't follow Airflow's model of a triage team (for now) - let's
get everyone involved in this!

This thread will be open for at least 72hrs under lazy consensus. As
before, I'd summarize and expand that to don't make extra work for
other people. ie. -1 any point here if you are offering an alternative
that you can help implement OR if any point will cause major problems
/ extra work for you.

Thanks,

Neil

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] GitHub issues migration

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 1/4/22 10:59, Neil C Smith wrote:
> OK, thanks all!  Closing this off now, and will start work on the
> configuration porting for review, as well as liaise with infra@ on a
> few things (eg. discussions requires manual switch I think)
>
> Also, a comment on this ...
>
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 at 16:37, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, I still see this as leaving a junkyard behind and open a new one.
>>
>> Maybe moving the issues closer to the code would help to draw attention
>> to those issues.
>>
>> Anyway I have mixed feelings.
> I share those feelings, a lot!  Without doubt we're leaving a junkyard
> behind, but I think that applies whether we migrate tools or not.  We
> need to fix the process, and I don't see anyone going over the mass of
> old issues to check which are still valid, reproducible, important,
> etc.
>
> I really hope moving closer to the code and changing processes works.
> If not, and in a year we end up with a junkyard again, we've failed!
> We need to not let that happen.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

Let it be then!

Thank you Neil for the efforts you are putting into this!

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] GitHub issues migration

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mar R <ma...@gmail.com>.
Better late than never :D to concerns about losing old bug reports etc,
will jira data be deleted? Because if not, it won't linked to github but
will still be there so in case of need some manual search and voilà, I know
it's not the best but better than anything.

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
+1 for using github issues.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Awesome.

Gj

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
0

Well, I still see this as leaving a junkyard behind and open a new one.

Maybe moving the issues closer to the code would help to draw attention
to those issues.

Anyway I have mixed feelings. I just would have liked to express that
with this zero.

AW: [LAZY CONSENSUS] GitHub issues migration

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
+1 for using Github issues. Thx for the upcoming work and effort.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
0

> [...]

> >> the latest release, actionable, and not a won't-fix should remain
> >> open. Everything else will be closed or converted to discussions as
> >> and until an actionable issue can be created.
> >> - We will keep issue prioritization in our hands. We will also look to
> >> add labelling for regressions - realistically it's critical
> >> *regressions*, as well as blockers, we most need to prioritize for
> >> releases. And aside from this proposal, we really should revise the
> >> issue priority criteria we inherited.
> >> - We won't follow Airflow's model of a triage team (for now) - let's
> >> get everyone involved in this!
> >>

> >> This thread will be open for at least 72hrs under lazy consensus. As
> >> before, I'd summarize and expand that to don't make extra work for
> >> other people. ie. -1 any point here if you are offering an alternative
> >> that you can help implement OR if any point will cause major problems

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] GitHub issues migration

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
i am all for it +1

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,