Posted to netcat@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2018/05/01 09:21:32 UTC

Re: What's next?

At the very least the 3 remaining blockers need to be resolved in one way
or another:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12343308

Gj

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Changed its priority to blocker.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: What's next?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.
On 05/06/2018 10:38 AM, Efrem Mc wrote:
> Please advise the incubator build that will incorporate the fix.

It's incorporated in build 435 here:

https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-linux/

I closed the issue:

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: What's next?

Posted by Efrem Mc <ef...@gmail.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Sure, I agree. They shouldn't be much work, most have been reviewed several
times.

Are there others in the list of PRs that we believe should absolutely be in
NB 9?

Thanks,

Gj

Re: What's next?

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Ok.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Re Neil's comments, yes, makes sense, when there's a weekend, we should
consider taking a bit longer. Then again, still, we've had enough votes to
move on to the IPMC vote and there'll be a lot more voting to do, i.e., for
rc2, for the final release, and for all subsequent releases.

Gj

Re: What's next?

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Yes, we plan to open Community Acceptance Survey once all the remaining
things are sorted out:

* update center is working and recording user requests
* splash and welcome screens are updated
* user and cache directories are changed to rc
* module specification versions are increased

-Jirka

Re: What's next?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.
On 05/21/2018 04:06 AM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> Well, yes, under Apache the role of NetCAT is a bit different. I am sure
> there'll be an acceptance survey. However, under Apache, the only final and
> valid vote takes place on the Apache NetBeans dev mailing list. For sure,
> if the NetCAT acceptance survey fails, that will be noticed by those voting
> in the Apache NetBeans dev mailing list and they won't let the vote succeed
> without the NetCAT acceptance survey succeeding. But, yes, indeed, you need
> to sign up to the Apache NetBeans dev mailing list to participate in the
> official voting for Apache NetBeans releases.

I didn't mean to cause any confusion. I've seen people asking about the
status of the release, so I posted about the vote thread. It's basically
just asking "is this one OK to release as RC1?". If so, then we
NetCATters get to pound on it and give an opinion. Right?

> There's a lot of fun to be had, still, in other words. :-)

Big fun, yes! Very exciting days for NetBeans!

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: What's next?

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 21 May 2018 at 08:41 Luca Mambretti <lu...@bizeta.net>
wrote:

>   1 - There will be no binary RC candidate, the only one to vote on will
> have to be build from sources ??

Yes!  Note the procedure linked at
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-approval The steps
to actually vote on a release are included there, and include building from
source.

This, incidentally, is why I haven't voted yet as I haven't had a chance to
do that yet.  Maybe we should think about the min 72hrs in future if that
coincides with a weekend?!  Not sure who might have intended to vote but
hasn't been able to run all steps yet?

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: What's next?

Re: What's next?

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
+1

Sven

Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> schrieb am Mo., 7. Mai
2018, 17:21:

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
To me, this sounds good.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.
On 05/16/2018 04:41 PM, joe schmo wrote:
> Is 9.0 coming soon?
>
> https://twitter.com/gholmer/status/996423776530259969

Yes.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: What's next?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.

https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/announce-apache-netbeans-incubating-91

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

What's next?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by joe schmo <ge...@hotmail.com>.
Is 9.0 coming soon?

https://twitter.com/gholmer/status/996423776530259969

________________________________
Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Ah, great.

Gj

Re: What's next?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 10 May 2018 at 10:47 Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'll just put in a PR to change the link path for now then, and we can
> look at https later.

Actually, was just about to do this, but if we're not revising the http
link now, maybe let's keep it as you put it?  There are pros and cons to
both options, but perhaps it's more likely we'd look to blanket redirect
/nb/updates/* in future anyway.

Sorry for the noise! :-)

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: What's next?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 10 May 2018 at 10:32 Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 10:10 AM, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Thanks!  Just made a comment on the (already merged) PR, but that
> redirect
> > should be to https I believe?
> >

> Eventually, probably yes. But http is better for now IMO: at least some of
> the Apache mirrors use http, and we may need to redirect to them. So we
> need to test if everything works correctly (quite possibly not) when going
> from https to http. Unless we can convince Apache that all mirrors should
> run on https, of course.

Well, we probably should try! ;-)  But OK fair enough, let's keep it as is
for now.  This came up a few times on the list IIRC around the nb-javac
install, although that was also to do with the self-signed certificate I
think?

Alongside signing do we have support for checking checksums in the update
process?  This might also be useful in future if third-party modules need
to be hosted elsewhere?

Re: What's next?

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 9 May 2018 at 22:51 Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Neil. I've submitted:
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-website/pull/40
> >
> > Not really sure if I did it correctly, though. The target of the redirect
> > does not exist yet. I added "updates" to the URL as well, so the path is:
> > /nb/updates/9.0/
> > (e.g. /nb/updates/9.0/updates.xml.gz ->
> > http://netbeans-vm.apache.org/uc/9.0/updates.xml.gz)
> >

> Thanks!  Just made a comment on the (already merged) PR, but that redirect
> should be to https I believe?

Eventually, probably yes. But http is better for now IMO: at least some of
the Apache mirrors use http, and we may need to redirect to them. So we
need to test if everything works correctly (quite possibly not) when going
from https to http. Unless we can convince Apache that all mirrors should
run on https, of course.

> Also, I'd personally prefer nb/9.0/updates to try and keep all version
> specific links under a common root too.

Ok with me.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: What's next?

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Neil. I've submitted:

Re: What's next?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: What's next?

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Makes sense to me and very curious if that will work, would be a great
solution.

Gj

Re: What's next?

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Well, it's about being able to generate Mavenized NetBeans Platform
archetypes, i.e., for creating a new application and module.

Gj

Re: What's next?

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 9:34 PM, Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> thanks for clarifying.
>
> So for NETBEANS-330 building a release candidate would be a good idea. I
> aggree.
>
> Regarding the NETBEANS-467, why do we need all external binaries in the
> Apache repository? I thought we wil just publish our build result?

This:
https://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html#thirdparty

Says:
---
Can we put third party files in the repositories?

You can with the snapshot repositories, but you cannot with the release
repositories. [snip]
---

So, from that, it seems to me external dependencies should not(?) be in our
part of the Maven repository.

Jan

Re: What's next?

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jan,

Re: What's next?

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for testing Glenn...

Re: What's next?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.

Re: What's next?

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Yes I fixed the symptom (least invasive fix I could come up with).

We should investigate the multiple classloader stuff further for the next
release.

It may make sense to split jfluid library into core things and stuff on
top, like the sql profiling. This would enhance visibility for API's needed
and provided so you know what and when you break stuff.

But SQLProfiler shows results if profiled process is run using JDK 10..

Sven

Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> schrieb am So., 6. Mai
2018, 16:13:

Re: What's next?