Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Scott Stark <ss...@us.ibm.com> on 2009/02/17 17:23:34 UTC

Ant XSL: inserting unwanted attributes

Hi all, my first post here, from a relative newbie, so hopefully my
question isn't too off-base.

I'm running an Ant build using <xslt> that reads an XML file, makes a few
changes using the specified XSL, and outputs to another XML file, which,
except for the changes I'm making in the XSL, should be identical to the
source.

The problem is that unwanted attributes often appear in the output XML. For
example:

      <choicetable> <!-- in the source document -->

becomes

      <choicetable keycol="1"> <!-- in the output document -->

and

      <codeblock> <!-- source -->

becomes

      <codeblock xml:space="preserve">    <!-- output -->

There's nothing in my XSL that's inserting these attributes. Any idea
what's going on? Thanks.

Scott

Scott Stark/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS
sstark@us.ibm.com
400 W. 15th Street, 12th floor
Austin, TX 78722
1-512-469-6512 (T/L: 595-6512)

Re: Ant XSL: inserting unwanted attributes

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
On Feb 17, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Scott Stark wrote:

>>> There's nothing in my XSL that's inserting these attributes. Any
>>> idea
>>> what's going on? Thanks.
>
>> Does your XML use a DTD/Schema? Does that DTD/Schema have defaults?
>> It is not the XSL, it is the XML parser.
>
> Yes I'm using DTD's. Sorry to be slow here, but which XML parser? Is
> it
> something in Ant that I can control?

I don't know how you would do it in Ant, but this might be useful:

http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/features.html#nonvalidating.load-external-dtd

-Rob

Posted by Scott Stark <ss...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.

> There's nothing in my XSL that's inserting these attributes. Any idea
> what's going on? Thanks.

Does your XML use a DTD/Schema? Does that DTD/Schema have defaults?

It is not the XSL, it is the XML parser.

-Rob

Re: Ant XSL: inserting unwanted attributes

Posted by sf...@nc.rr.com.
Not sure I agree with that at all...

I am using the XSLT task to convert Ant scripts/Subversion logs to HTML...

Not sure why Ant would add attributes.  If you are using XSLT to convert, Ant is certainly not going to add attributes for you...

Has nothing to do with Ant.

Posted by "Rinehart, Raleigh" <ra...@ti.com>.

Have you tried using xalan-j?  I've used the cmd line to do validation in the past, might be of some help to you.
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/commandline.html

basically:
>java -cp C:\...\xalan-j_2_7_1\xalan.jar;C:\...\xalan-j_2_7_1\xml-apis.jar;C:\...\xalan_2_7_1\serializer.jar;C:\...\xalan-j_2_7_1\xercesImpl.jar  org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -IN some.xml -XSL results.xsl -out some.out.put

There is this notion of grammer pools that might do what you're using <xmlcatalog> for, but I'm not sure how/if that works from the cmd line.

Hope this helps,
-raleigh

Re: Ant XSL: inserting unwanted attributes

Posted by "Scot P. Floess" <sf...@nc.rr.com>.
Gotcha...

Wish I could be of more help :(

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Scott Stark wrote:

>> So, have you tried to run your XSLT outside of Ant?  Be interesting to see
>> if you get the same results...
>
>> Ah...gotcha about xmlcatalog :)
>
> Yeah, getting that to work with Saxon was more than my brain could
> handle... couldn't find any good doc about it. Turned out to be easy with
> Ant...
>
> Scott

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC  27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-754-4592 (Work)

Re: Ant XSL: inserting unwanted attributes

Posted by Scott Stark <ss...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by "Scot P. Floess" <sf...@nc.rr.com>.
So, have you tried to run your XSLT outside of Ant?  Be interesting to see
if you get the same results...

Ah...gotcha about xmlcatalog :)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Scott Stark wrote:

>> However, I don't recall seeing mention of default values...  Just the
> resultant
>> document has unwanted attributes added...
>
>> So, if this is in fact that situation...I'm confused about the posting to
> this list...
>> Have you tried to execute your XSLT outside Ant?  If so and the result is
> the same...
>> probably the wrong list to submit questions...
>
> Hard to say -- one of the reasons I'm using Ant is the <xmlcatalog>
> function, which allows me to pull in all of the DTDs I need. I couldn't
> figure out how to do that with Saxon calls. So it's possible that yes, this
> may have nothing to do with Ant.
>
> Thanks for all your suggestions.
>
> Scott

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC  27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-754-4592 (Work)

Re: Ant XSL: inserting unwanted attributes

Posted by Scott Stark <ss...@us.ibm.com>.
>However, I don't recall seeing mention of default values...  Just the
resultant
>document has unwanted attributes added...

>So, if this is in fact that situation...I'm confused about the posting to
this list...
>Have you tried to execute your XSLT outside Ant?  If so and the result is
the same...
>probably the wrong list to submit questions...

Hard to say -- one of the reasons I'm using Ant is the <xmlcatalog>
function, which allows me to pull in all of the DTDs I need. I couldn't
figure out how to do that with Saxon calls. So it's possible that yes, this
may have nothing to do with Ant.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Scott

Re: Ant XSL: inserting unwanted attributes

Posted by sf...@nc.rr.com.
Sorry, been fighting being sick...

However, I don't recall seeing mention of default values...  Just the resultant document has unwanted attributes added...

So, if this is in fact that situation...I'm confused about the posting to this list...  Have you tried to execute your XSLT outside Ant?  If so and the result is the same...probably the wrong list to submit questions...

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk...but based on what I read - it lead me to believe that the issue was somehow related to the XSLT task...

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
> [...]

> source.
>
> The problem is that unwanted attributes often appear in the output XML. For
> example:
>
>       <choicetable> <!-- in the source document -->
>
> becomes
>
>       <choicetable keycol="1"> <!-- in the output document -->
>
> and
>
>       <codeblock> <!-- source -->
>
> becomes
>
>       <codeblock xml:space="preserve">    <!-- output -->
>
> There's nothing in my XSL that's inserting these attributes. Any idea
> what's going on? Thanks.
>
> Scott
>
> Scott Stark/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS
> sstark@us.ibm.com
> 400 W. 15th Street, 12th floor
> Austin, TX 78722
> 1-512-469-6512 (T/L: 595-6512)

Re: Ant XSL: inserting unwanted attributes

Just curious, does your XSLT have an output element in it?  For example:

<xsl:output  method = "xml"  version = "1.0"  indent = "yes"/>