Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2006/11/29 19:45:12 UTC

[ApacheDS] Schema Subsystem Redesign Objectives

Hi guys,

We have the design in mind and it looks good.  Now it's time to start
the work.  I cannot see the whole path to get this done but here's what
I see into the next few weeks.

1a). We need to implement a meta schema to represent schema entities as
entries in the server under ou=schema area.  Emmanuel already started on
this.

1b). We need parsers for interchanging LDAP description formats for
schema entities into Schema objects.  Ersin already started working on
these parsers.

1a and 1b are concurrent.

2). Need to write the special partition for ou=schema which uses a
subset of schema information to bootstrap itself and initialize the
schema subsystem.

3). Write the schema subsystem facade and initialization code to load
all entities into their respective registries.  Also need to figure out
how to maintain and access registries for specific SAAs.  Basically we
need a method to lookup a registry based on DN.  This will find the SAA
associated with the DN, and lookup the associated registries with that SAA.

4a). Start writing code to inject subschemaSubentry attributes into
entries falling under SAAs defined by the subtree specifications of
schema subentries.

4b). Need to start working on virtualization code that injects schema
description attributes into schema subentries.

4a and 4b are concurrent.

5) Rewrite schema checking code to properly apply schema information to
changes to DIT and respond accordingly.  We will use the full LDAP
schema capabilities to contrain and manage the DIT.

Right now this is as far as I can foresee in terms of general steps.

Regards,
Alex

Re: [ApacheDS] Schema Subsystem Redesign Objectives

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Ersin Er wrote:
> On 12/15/06, *Alex Karasulu* <akarasulu@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     Ersin Er wrote:
>      > I have added information about two proposed schema extensions:
>      >
>      > * X-SCHEMA-NAME for all schema element descriptions which is like
>      > Netscape X-ORIGIN
>      > * X-IS-HUMAN-READABLE for syntax descriptions
>
>     You think the opposite X-BINARY or X-IS-BINARY might be better?
>

> Yes, that was my idea upon your proposal. Let's switch to X-IS-BINARY.

Sounds good Ersin.

Thanks,

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin

Re: [ApacheDS] Schema Subsystem Redesign Objectives

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin

Re: [ApacheDS] Schema Subsystem Redesign Objectives

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Ersin

Re: [ApacheDS] Schema Subsystem Redesign Objectives

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin