Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/09 07:59:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Add the components definition in JIRA template

Hi folks,

Currently we can not select one components when create a JIRA. [1]. At
present, this problem is not obvious because there are not many
contributors of IoTDB, and the active committers need to have a certain
understanding of each module. When our community grows stronger, each
module may have some specific person in charge. At that time, it is
meaningful for us to specify specific components for JIRA., because that
way, the component owner  can pay attention to them and discuss with the
contributors.

So my proposal is:
Add the components definition in JIRA template [2](there is permission
control, maybe PPMC should be able to access).

If my proposal is accepted by IoTDB community, we should have a discussion
about how to define the components for IoTDB. I'm not familiar with the
components of IoTDB. Maybe PPMC such as Xiangdong and Jialin etc.,  and the
committers of IoTDB will have better solutions.

My two cents:

Approach 1 (align the modules):
    - Client
    - Server
    - Tsfile
    - Spark-tsfile
    - Hadoop-tsfile
    - Spark-iotdb-connector
    - Hive-connector
    - Grafana
    - Distribution
    - Service-rpc
    - Jdbc
    - Session
    - Example
    - WebSite

Approach 2(Grading management):
    - Client
         - Client-java
         - Client-py
         - Service-rpc
         - Jdbc
         - Session
    - Server
    - Tsfile
          - Spark-tsfile
          - Hadoop-tsfile
    - Connector
          - Spark-iotdb-connector
          - Hive-connector
    - Grafana
    - Distribution
    - Example
    - WebSite

Approach 3(Pretty simple. We can expand it at any time):
    - Client
    - Server
    - Tsfile
    - Connector
    - Grafana
    - Distribution
    - Example
    - WebSite

Approach 4(Other better options)

Best,
Jincheng

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IOTDB-410
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/IOTDB/components

Re: [DISCUSS] Add the components definition in JIRA template

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Attaching a component of each issue will help contributors quickly locate
the problem.
This has nothing to do with specifying someone in a certain area, it just a
classification of issues :)

I would like to give an approach 4

  - TsFile (module: tsfile)
  - Storage (StorageEngine in server module, including buffer management,
flush management)
  - Query (Query processor in server module)
  - Merge (Compaction in server)
  - CLI (module: iotdb-client)
  - Rpc-client (modules: iotdb-jdbc, service-rpc, iotdb-session)
  - Python-client
  - Distribution
  - Grafana
  - Spark-TsFile
  - Spark-IoTDB
  - Hive-tsfile
  - Hadoop-tsfile
  - Example
  - WebSite
  - Doc
  - Other

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2020年1月9日周四 下午4:27写道:

--
—————————————————
Jialin Qiao

乔嘉林
清华大学 软件学院

Re: [DISCUSS] Add the components definition in JIRA template

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,

+1 for a vote

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.