Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jim Crossley <ji...@crossleys.org> on 2004/02/09 13:38:52 UTC

Multiple versions of same plugin?

At work, we have a plugin with some common goals for our internal
projects.  We have two versions:  1.0 and 1.1-SNAPSHOT.  We use
maven-1.0-rc1 and we specify which version of the plugin to use in
each project's project.xml using the <type>plugin</type> dependency
element.  We keep both versions on our "local remote" repository so
that the snapshot is downloaded automatically by projects that depend
on it.

Lately we've noticed that once we build a project that depends on
version 1.0 of the plugin, then the 1.0 plugin gets used for EVERY
project from that point forward, regardless of which version is listed
in its POM.

The only way to get the 1.1-SNAPSHOT to work, it seems, is to remove
the jar containing the 1.0 version from the local maven repo, the 1.0
directory and and all the *.cache files from ~/.maven/plugins.  Only
after doing all three will the 1.1-SNAPSHOT plugin work.  And only
then until another project depending on 1.0 is built.

Is this a known bug, or are we doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Jim

xdoc plugin 1.5

Posted by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com>.
Hello.
I have recently replaced my maven-xdoc-plugin-1.4.jar with the 1.5 version.
Just the other day when I ran "maven site" with 1.4 it ran the simian
report, statcvs and pmd.  Now it seems that the 1.5 version does not run
these reports and place them in the target/docs/ directory.  Should it
be running these other goals?  Or is the new xdoc-plugin designed to do
a little less to make it simpler?

Just curious.  Thanks.

Charlie

Re: Multiple versions of same plugin?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 22:09, Jim Crossley wrote:
> At work, we have a plugin with some common goals for our internal
> projects.  We have two versions:  1.0 and 1.1-SNAPSHOT.  We use
> maven-1.0-rc1 and we specify which version of the plugin to use in
> each project's project.xml using the <type>plugin</type> dependency
> element.  We keep both versions on our "local remote" repository so
> that the snapshot is downloaded automatically by projects that depend
> on it.
>
> Lately we've noticed that once we build a project that depends on
> version 1.0 of the plugin, then the 1.0 plugin gets used for EVERY
> project from that point forward, regardless of which version is listed
> in its POM.

This is currently a problem as only one version of a plugin can be used.
Lack of forsight on my part  from the start. It's a dirty hack but I
have scripts for bash that I use for swapping versions of plugins if
you're interested. That's what I currently use until the problem is
fixed correctly.

> The only way to get the 1.1-SNAPSHOT to work, it seems, is to remove
> the jar containing the 1.0 version from the local maven repo, the 1.0
> directory and and all the *.cache files from ~/.maven/plugins.  Only
> after doing all three will the 1.1-SNAPSHOT plugin work.  And only
> then until another project depending on 1.0 is built.
>
> Is this a known bug, or are we doing something wrong?

Purely a limitation of Maven wrt plugins, nothing being done wrong on
your part.

> Thanks,
> Jim

jvz.