Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by "pat@pkp.endjunk.com" <pa...@pkp.endjunk.com> on 2011/07/28 21:14:36 UTC

Re: WELCOME to xindice-users@xml.apache.org

Hello,

Is upgrade to 1.1 from 1.0 seamless? Can we just copy the DB folder from the
1.0 version and make it work with 1.1 without any additional code updates to
the Java/JSP app using  the DB?
We are using Xindice 1.0 with Java v1.3.

Thank you!
=Pat=

Re: WELCOME to xindice-users@xml.apache.org

Posted by Natalia Shilenkova <ns...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 3, 2011, at 4:12 PM, pkp413 @gmail.com wrote:

> Thank you, Natalia. I was able to install and reconfigure the DB files for use with Xindice 1.1
>
> I am having a couple of issues now:
>
> #1. Do I need Tomcat to deploy/run Xindice 1.1 server? Can be it run without Tomcat using the xindiced start command instead? what are the trade-offs between using Tomcat or Jetty?

You don't need Tomcat. Any application server will do, including Jetty. There is not much difference, except the case where you already use Tomcat and would like to avoid having another server.

> #2. Our current scripts read and write to DB collections using commands like
> xindice rd -c //<DBSERVER>:4080/db/database -n TOC.xml
>
> The new xindice command-line does not like the fully qualified server name/port in front of the /db. These command would need to change to something like...
> xindice rd -d //<DBSERVER>:4080 -c /db/database -n TOC.xml

"-d" argument should point to DB configuration file and only applies when local database is used, but here the command-line tool will connect to the Xindice server over the network, so -d //<DBSERVER>:4080 will be ignored.

A non-standard port/host name for command-line tool can be set by specifying "-c" argument as full Xindice DB URL, such as:
bin/xindice lc -c xmldb:xindice://localhost:8888/db

> Which means all scripts that use xindice command-line will need to be updated...any workaround for that?

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any workaround for that.

Regards,
Natalia

Posted by "pkp413 @gmail.com" <pk...@gmail.com>.

#1. Do I need Tomcat to deploy/run Xindice 1.1 server? Can be it run without

#2. Our current scripts read and write to DB collections using commands like
xindice rd -c //<DBSERVER>:4080/db/database -n TOC.xml

The new xindice command-line does not like the fully qualified server
name/port in front of the /db. These command would need to change to
something like...
xindice rd -d //<DBSERVER>:4080 -c /db/database -n TOC.xml

Which means all scripts that use xindice command-line will need to be
updated...any workaround for that?

Thanks,
=Pat=

Posted by Natalia Shilenkova <ns...@gmail.com>.