Posted to netcat@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2021/02/16 21:31:35 UTC

[BETA] Apache NetBeans 12.3-beta3 available for testing

Dear Apache NetBeans community,

The third (and hopefully final) beta build for Apache NetBeans 12.3 is
available.

Changes between beta2 and beta3 can be seen at:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release123/10/

This is hopefully the final beta before voting!

Please help with assessing, triaging and closing issues at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/NETBEANS/issues

Try out 12.3 Beta 3 especially with nb-javac installed, please.

As per the release schedule, NB 12.3 is a non-LTS release, and will not
have a full NetCAT process.  However, feedback and testing from those on
the dev@ and netcat@ lists would still be appreciated, particularly around
new features.  Please file issues in JIRA as necessary, with the effects
and fix versions set to 12.3. Please take note of the Bug Priority
Guidelines (link below), in particular so that we can address critical and
blocking issues if they arise.

**The following rules are applied to pull requests from now until release:**

PR's intended to be included in the 12.3 release:
 - Limited to fixes and (ideally) tied to a JIRA ticket.
 - Base on the delivery branch.
 - Mark with 12.3 milestone.
 - Add the release manager(s) as reviewers (in this case Neil C. Smith and
myself).
 - Will be merged by the release manager(s).
 - Will be assessed against the bug priority guidelines.

PR's with features for a future release:
 - Base on the master branch.
 - Will be reviewed and merged in the usual way.
 - If possible stay away from big refactoring.
 - If possible do not overlap with fixes for 12.3 (delivery will be merged
to master regularly).

The NetBeans 12.3-beta3 artifacts are here:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release123/10/artifact/

Link to the binary zip:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release123/10/artifact/dist/netbeans/netbeans-12.3-beta3-bin.zip
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release123/10/artifact/dist/netbeans/netbeans-12.3-beta3-bin.zip.sha512

The sources are here:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release123/10/artifact/dist/netbeans/netbeans-12.3-beta3-source.zip
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release123/10/artifact/dist/netbeans/netbeans-12.3-beta3-source.zip.sha512

All PRs integrated into 12.3-beta3 are:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pulls?q=is%3Aclosed+milestone%3A12.3

Release schedule:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Release+Schedule

Bug Priority Guidelines:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Bug+Priority+Guidelines

NB 12.3 major changes (HELP wanted to complete):
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+12.3

Thank you for your contributions!

Best wishes,

Gj

on behalf of Neil C. Smith and myself, jointly release managing Apache
NetBeans 12.3

Re: [BETA] Apache NetBeans 12.3-beta3 available for testing [nb-javac License Agreement Dialog]

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 19 Feb 2021, 18:30 Laszlo Kishalmi, <la...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yeah. I think 15.x would be more suitable version.

+1

> Also having it on maven would it be possible to release a patch version
> of nb-javac, then NetBeans can pick it up through the UC? It is not that
> important now, but I would like to see a test, that can be actually done.

As NBM or JAR? As far as I know we'd need the former as well to do this
without an IDE update in parallel, so it's not much different to last few
releases. See my comments on https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2724

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [BETA] Apache NetBeans 12.3-beta3 available for testing [nb-javac License Agreement Dialog]

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
With beta3, opened the Team area but got the question about installing
nb-javac plugin.  On the License dialog, it gives a pulldown with 3 plugins
options
(1) nb-javac API [2.4]
(2) nb-javac Impl [2.4]
(3) The nb-javac Java editing support library [2.0]

Is that by design?

No matter which plugin is selected, the check box of acceptances is
set/unset even when switching combo box selections.

Is this asking to approve the licenses for all items in the list of
plugins?  If so that's not very apparent given it only shows the single
combo box selected items.

Maybe this should be changed to provide a list of all applicable "plugins"
that accept the license for all.  I think something similar is done in
Eclipse when multiple plugins or license acceptance is required.

Is this a general Plugin Install behavior?

I don't think this should be something preventing release or a major issue
but should something be written up for this if not by design?

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 at 10:30, Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> Any particular point to focus ? Because it's working fine for the moment :D

Basically anything that's changed between betas, but particularly Java
editing with nb-javac installed, and the installation process.  Every
time we've had an nb-javac update land late in the process it's been a
concern, although the functional changes here are minimal here so
hopefully not a problem.

I'm still seeing a load of -

INFO [org.netbeans.api.java.source.ElementHandle]: Resolved type is
null for kind ...

That was happening before too, although have had more and had to clear
the cache to get to a usable state with beta3 - probably coincidental.

Best wishes,

Neil

RE: [BETA] Apache NetBeans 12.3-beta3 available for testing

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Any particular point to focus ? Because it's working fine for the moment :D

Thanks to everyone involved in putting this release together.  I've built from source without any issues, and I'll begin testing.  Looking forward to using this release.

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: [BETA] Apache NetBeans 12.3-beta3 available for testing [Git Functionality]

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
With 12.3-beta3, (this may have been from earlier updates but) with the
recent Git updates, cloned the netbeans project performed much faster than
previous release. +1

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com