Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2013/09/06 17:39:40 UTC

how to move tickets from SourceForge to ASF Allura

We should move our tickets from https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/ to
https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/  There's a lot of tickets there, and
the hardest part I think is that its a mix of Allura tickets and non-OSS
SourceForge tickets too.  (Lately we've been making non-Allura tickets private,
and also using different milestones, but that's not 100% true for all the
tickets on SF).

I want to propose a few options for how we want to handle the Allura tickets and
then after that, SourceForge can figure out how to adapt some of its other needs
for internal tickets, related tickets, scheduling, etc.

1) Clean start; don't move any tickets.  Easy, but a lot of context and history
will be left on SF.  Also there are many open tickets that would have to be
re-created.

2) Move open Allura tickets, preserving ticket #s (or, possibly, giving them new
numbers starting at 1).  This would leave behind closed tickets that aren't
"current" any more.  We would have to sort out what open tickets are "allura"
tickets and which are not.

3) Move all Allura tickets.  We would have all of the project history in one
place.  But it would take even more time to sort through all the tickets to
determine what is "allura" and should be moved, and what should not.

I prefer option 3.  It's more work but will be very helpful to have all tickets
in one place.  I have pretty good knowledge of all the tickets and can be the
one to sort out which to move and which to keep on SF.

As far as the technical work to do a move, we can export all the data using the
APIs.  And we can write an import utility which handles the Allura api/export
format (which would be good to do anyway).  Many usernames wouldn't match up,
and would have to be changed to "anonymous" or create a stub user in Allura (my
preference).  Cross-references (to wiki pages, chat logs, SF site-support
tickets, etc) would break.

How does that sound?  Any other suggestions?

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: how to move tickets from SourceForge to ASF Allura

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Yeah, the overhead might be too much for this, although I do think it's a good
idea.  SourceForge doesn't have an OpenID provider currently, and the OpenID
support in Allura is broken.  Even after fixing it, it'd need additional work to
work nicely (e.g. Google uses a different extension, which has some security
risks to account for)

Posted by Daniel Hinojosa <dh...@slashdotmedia.com>.
Hi Roberto,

--
*Daniel Hinojosa*
*Community Manager, SourceForge / Slashdot Media*

Re: how to move tickets from SourceForge to ASF Allura

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Hinojosa <dh...@slashdotmedia.com>.
Hi Dave,

I like your proposed mitigation for the ticket subscription. Same on votes.

d.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Wayne Witzel III <ww...@gmail.com>.
I like option 3 as well. Keeping the original numbers if possible. Since we
also reference tickets in a lot of commit messages.

Posted by Daniel Hinojosa <dh...@slashdotmedia.com>.
Dave,

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 9/9/13 2:13 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On 09/06/2013 11:39 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
>> 3) Move all Allura tickets.  We would have all of the project history in one
>> place.  But it would take even more time to sort through all the tickets to
>> determine what is "allura" and should be moved, and what should not.
>>
>> I prefer option 3.  It's more work but will be very helpful to have all tickets
>> in one place.  I have pretty good knowledge of all the tickets and can be the
>> one to sort out which to move and which to keep on SF.
>>
>> As far as the technical work to do a move, we can export all the data using the
>> APIs.  And we can write an import utility which handles the Allura api/export
>> format (which would be good to do anyway).  Many usernames wouldn't match up,
>> and would have to be changed to "anonymous" or create a stub user in Allura (my
>> preference).  Cross-references (to wiki pages, chat logs, SF site-support
>> tickets, etc) would break.
>>
>> How does that sound?  Any other suggestions?
> From a product feature perspective, having a simple way to export your tickets
> from a project and import them into another Allura instance seems really
> important, so, thinking of this not as a one-time migration but as an actual
> feature ... is this possible from the Data Export feature (
> http://sourceforge.net/blog/project-data-export/) ?

Yes, that's the goal.  The export is there, and we need to implement the import
portion: https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/6638/  For our particular
use-case we'll need some further work to filter which tickets we'll import
(delete some from the export file, or pull the API for all the tickets we want
and concat them)

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 09/06/2013 11:39 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> 3) Move all Allura tickets.  We would have all of the project history in one
> place.  But it would take even more time to sort through all the tickets to
> determine what is "allura" and should be moved, and what should not.
>
> I prefer option 3.  It's more work but will be very helpful to have all tickets
> in one place.  I have pretty good knowledge of all the tickets and can be the
> one to sort out which to move and which to keep on SF.
>
> As far as the technical work to do a move, we can export all the data using the
> APIs.  And we can write an import utility which handles the Allura api/export
> format (which would be good to do anyway).  Many usernames wouldn't match up,
> and would have to be changed to "anonymous" or create a stub user in Allura (my
> preference).  Cross-references (to wiki pages, chat logs, SF site-support
> tickets, etc) would break.
>
> How does that sound?  Any other suggestions?
 From a product feature perspective, having a simple way to export your
tickets from a project and import them into another Allura instance
seems really important, so, thinking of this not as a one-time migration
but as an actual feature ... is this possible from the Data Export
feature ( http://sourceforge.net/blog/project-data-export/) ?

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com
Shosholoza

Re: how to move tickets from SourceForge to ASF Allura

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
2013/9/6 Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>

> We should move our tickets from https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/to
> https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/  There's a lot of tickets
> there, and
> the hardest part I think is that its a mix of Allura tickets and non-OSS
> SourceForge tickets too.  (Lately we've been making non-Allura tickets
> private,
> and also using different milestones, but that's not 100% true for all the
> tickets on SF).
>
> I want to propose a few options for how we want to handle the Allura
> tickets and
> then after that, SourceForge can figure out how to adapt some of its other
> needs
> for internal tickets, related tickets, scheduling, etc.
>
> 1) Clean start; don't move any tickets.  Easy, but a lot of context and
> history
> will be left on SF.  Also there are many open tickets that would have to be
> re-created.
>
> 2) Move open Allura tickets, preserving ticket #s (or, possibly, giving
> them new
> numbers starting at 1).  This would leave behind closed tickets that aren't
> "current" any more.  We would have to sort out what open tickets are
> "allura"
> tickets and which are not.
>
> 3) Move all Allura tickets.  We would have all of the project history in
> one
> place.  But it would take even more time to sort through all the tickets to
> determine what is "allura" and should be moved, and what should not.
>
> I prefer option 3.  It's more work but will be very helpful to have all
> tickets
> in one place.  I have pretty good knowledge of all the tickets and can be
> the
> one to sort out which to move and which to keep on SF.
>
> As far as the technical work to do a move, we can export all the data
> using the
> APIs.  And we can write an import utility which handles the Allura
> api/export
> format (which would be good to do anyway).  Many usernames wouldn't match
> up,
> and would have to be changed to "anonymous" or create a stub user in
> Allura (my
> preference).  Cross-references (to wiki pages, chat logs, SF site-support
> tickets, etc) would break.

As far as we redirect all existing tickets to the new home, explaining
clearly why they're redirected and what is changed (e.g. username issue) I
think that could be acceptable from an (old) end-user point of view.

Roberto

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
I think that is reasonable for at least the top users, most of whom are present
or past Allura devs/contributors.  For the rest I don't think it'd be
appropriate for SourceForge to transfer email addresses over to an Apache
instance.  The export & import functionality also doesn't cover subscription
info and I'm not too eager to write more code / mongo scripts just to handle that :)

I haven't had a chance to move this forward yet but hopefully next week I will,
and I'll set up accounts for top users and try a full ticket import.  If it goes
well, we'll redirect the SourceForge urls and notify the top users.

-Dave

Posted by Cory Johns <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Bondarenko <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Igor has fixed the first two TODO items mentioned below, so we are theoretically
ready to move tickets.  I want to discuss how we handle user's connections to

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Update:

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.