Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> on 2012/03/10 10:04:31 UTC

[Wiki] Code conventions

Hello Adobe team,

I was planning to copy the code conventions of the Adobe wiki to the
Apache wiki so we can start extending/finishing it. I was wondering
about the legal implications.

any thoughts?

yours
Martin.

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM, James Cowan <ja...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...Perhaps if anyone else is interested, they could drop me an email and we
> could have a (skype) chat?...

Feel free to discuss this here, any technical discussions related to
Flex are welcome here, and exposing them might help in getting more
people interested.

-Bertrand

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Niel Drummond <ni...@grumpytoad.org>.
The topic was discussed a little, but it seemed to me that the general
feeling was "as3 is not haxe", and "let's wait and see what adobe
hands us on a plate".

I am definitely interested in such a project, but it's still an idea
that needs some traction in the community, or it will have some
difficulty finishing.

- Niel

--
Sent from my mobile device

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
Niel,

I've tried to bootstrap the framework once, but I've reduced it to the
minimum required to support MXML (so no visual components, collections
etc), only bindings + some other stuff I wasn't able to remove. It would be
all in all about 30 classes. So, if you are interested, I could give it a
try, but there's one important thing about it: current Flex compiler
expects the AS3 classes to be in place, either as sources, or in the
framework.swc (probably, it would be able to take them from another swc -
that's something I didn't try), but if they aren't found, it'll replace
them with the ones it "knows" to exist. So it would be quite difficult to
compile in parallel and see if the results match.

Another thing: what I could understand from Michael and Alex is that the
way the code used to be generated is going to change - and we don't know in
what way. Those classes depend on the generated code to work properly (they
are usually instantiated from the generated code).

Also, so far I could understand, no one is planning serious changes until
Adobe releases the last stable version - until then it's kind of pointless
to try to make changes, because we have a good chance to get out of sync.

Yet on the other hand, the new compiler is going to compile MXML directly
(why is that is another question... but I'm not asking it). And this later
fact is putting anyone who would think about circumventing AS3 generated
behind MXML into a very problematic position, as they would also need to
generate the same code from MXML... I actually have difficult times
understanding the ways the new compiler is going to be used - will it
replace authoring_asc.jar for Flash CS? If so, I'm kind of lost, because
there's a lot of technology built already on top of it, especially
technology that involves code generation, use of AS3 compiled libraries and
so on. So, how would Adobe continue to plan their own development in sync
with Apache? I'm not saying it's impossible, but sounds strange...

Best.

Oleg

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Sanford Redlich <si...@gmail.com>.
I'll put something together. I'm on a rush job right now but hopefully I
can do it next week.  - S.

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Sandford,

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Sanford Redlich <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oleg,

Re: Haxe and Flex

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
I tried once to use some spark components with very reduced functionality
for the purpose of using GFX - that's why I mentioned it. I *hope* that
there may be a way do build a PoC using some Spark interfaces masking
alternative smaller implementations.

However, I fell victim to Ubuntu update %) and after a week of crazy
efforts of restoring my system to operational state, I moved to Debian -
but I've got bare bones only for now, so I'll probably try to restore what
I could have saved from my last file system and programs... I hope I'll
find the time to look into Spark sources to try to find that interface I
had in mind, but I can't promise.

Cheers!

Oleg

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by ganaraj p r <ga...@gmail.com>.
Would seriously love to get started with porting Flex onto Haxe. That is
something I prize most of all the changes.

Flex was known for being the best single RIA tool in the market for a long
time. Now over the past months it is losing its glitter. Perhaps porting it
to Haxe and making it truly cross compile into different languages ( and
efficiently ! ) should give it a traction that it deserves. This will also
ensure that finally Haxe will get its critical mass of subscribers.

If there is someone here who has delved into Flex code and figured out
independent modules or systems that can be ported, It would be really
great. Lets get started guys!!!!

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 5:06 AM, James Ong <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It will be ideal if there a way to interface any DLL from as3 code when
> cross compile to c or cpp, this will attract developers who are using QT
> On Mar 14, 2012 6:42 AM, "Arnoud Bos" <ar...@artim-interactive.nl> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 13, 2012, at 10:07 PM, Niel Drummond wrote:
> >

> > > Regarding Arnoud Bos' suggestion of using as3hx, this might be a
> > solution,
> > > if (and only if) it's desired to keep as3 as-is, but I doubt it will
> be a
> > > satisfactory solution, because I suspect eventually flex will want to
> > > migrate some of it's components to pure HTML equivalents, which is
> > > difficult to do purely on an NME basis.
> >
> > Hi Neil, yeah i just came up with a possible approach. For sure it's not
> > the best.
> > I think you have much deeper understanding on how to do this stuff
> better.
> > I'm just learning haxe and enjoying it very much.
> >
> > It would be nice to know how you would approach it as you have much
> deeper
> > understanding of haxe and mapping on a Js/HTML target.
> >
> > Oleg's suggestion to use his minimum set as a starting point could  be a
> > nice.
> >
> > Arnoud
> >
> > > [1]
> > http://lists.motion-twin.com/pipermail/haxe/2008-November/020644.html
> > >
> > > - Niel

Ganaraj P R

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by James Ong <ya...@gmail.com>.

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Arnoud Bos <ar...@artim-interactive.nl>.

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Niel Drummond <ni...@grumpytoad.org>.
I think if some work were to go into this, it would be a great primer for
the issues around targeting javascript/HTML regardless of which compiler is
used. Many issues that were raised in the "porting to haxe" threads
revolved around generic issues that would need to be dealt with regardless
of whether falconJS or a separate custom compiler is used instead. I think
this puts haxe into a bad light, and offsets the problems the flex
community will have further down the road, when it's finally decided to put
some work into cross-compiling.

Nicolas didn't mention how haxe can be used from AS3/flex with minimal
work, because that's only possible over the flash runtime, which is only a
great reason if you wish to interface with flex from the haxe source code
(so the other way around).

>From my point of view, being a little bit naive about flex, and having
plenty of experience cross-compiling flash->js code with haxe (my first
demo was end 2008 [1]), looking at the flex code is quite intimidating at
first, and it would take me a considerable amount of time to find a
starting point. It would make it hugely more approachable if a tiny cross
section of core classes + one independent component were identified from
another expert as a potential candidate for a POC, ignoring any parsers,
ignoring tooling and most importantly not dependent on other parts of the
infrastructure.

Regarding Arnoud Bos' suggestion of using as3hx, this might be a solution,
if (and only if) it's desired to keep as3 as-is, but I doubt it will be a
satisfactory solution, because I suspect eventually flex will want to
migrate some of it's components to pure HTML equivalents, which is
difficult to do purely on an NME basis.

[1] http://lists.motion-twin.com/pipermail/haxe/2008-November/020644.html

- Niel

RE: Haxe and Flex

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 3/13/2012 10:22 AM, James Cowan wrote:

> that is a good summary and yes it sounds like a massive amount of work.
>
> I have never seen an open source MXML compiler but I have seen XAML
> open source compilers.

   Hasn't the MXMLC Flex compiler been open source since version 3?

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by James Cowan <ja...@googlemail.com>.
that is a good summary and yes it sounds like a massive amount of work.

I have never seen an open source MXML compiler but I have seen XAML open
source compilers.
extras/mxml.xsd seems to have disappeared but this project
(http://code.google.com/p/xsd4mxml/) seems to be useful.

James

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Arnoud Bos <ar...@artim-interactive.nl>.

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by James Cowan <ja...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by James Cowan <ja...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Haxe and Flex

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Haxe and Flex

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions

Posted by Paul Evans <pa...@creative-cognition.co.uk>.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Getting+Started

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
Hello Sumit,

There is a reason why I wrote the "Getting Started" area in the wiki. It
should answer exactly what you asked for.
*Please read the wiki*

Short summary:
If you want to commit, commit. There is no need to wait. You can submit
patches via jira[1] create discussable forks
via github[2] and discuss new things via this mailing-list. You might be
asked as to become a commiter once you've
published something. But you do *not* need to wait for that to start.

yours
Martin.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX
[2] https://github.com/apache/flex

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions

Posted by sumit arora <er...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

I am saying I want to be the part of flex-dev team for making changes in
flex sdk for releasing next version.
I have been working in flex for almost 5 years now and know about sdk in
depth.
so whom should I contact for this.

Regards,
Sumit Arora

--
Sumit Arora
(Nothing is impossible it is only impossible untill you or someone else

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions

Posted by sumit arora <er...@gmail.com>.
Sure,

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions

Posted by David Francis Buhler <da...@gmail.com>.
I was going to suggest trying to find an existing style-guide from an
open-source project. Perhaps the Apache Flex project can use the Android
Style Guide if the project itself uses an Apache License. Then, in my
research, I found many projects simply refer to a simpler style-guide for
naming conventions, and format tends to be dictated by an agreed-upon
formatting style. We should be able to pull from a simple style-guide for
naming conventions, and the format we can alter as we go along, starting
with Martin's properties file.

[1] http://source.android.com/source/code-style.html
[2] http://source.android.com/source/licenses.html

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

It might help to take a look at the Flex Formatter property file I placed up on the whiteboard.[1]

This should be fairly similar to Adobe format stye and is mostly human readable.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/flex/whiteboard/jmclean/formatting/format.properties?view=markup

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
   It depends..
  Under US Copyright work; any modifications are derivative works.  In
writing, I haven't the foggiest idea how much needs to be changed to
make it 'separate'.

  In music, the "common knowledge" is that you need four bars to make
something unique.  That means, you can copy less than four bars from
someone else and be okay.

  Four bars is a very very small piece of any musical work.

  [Note, I am not a lawyer, and this is in no way legal advice, and
common knowledge is not always legally accurate; and we are potentially
dealing with a lot more than "US copyright law" in this case].

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions

Posted by John Fletcher <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/10/12 11:00 AM, "Martin Heidegger" <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> wrote:

> Thanks Alex,
>
> lets see what to do about this. I guess I don't want to bother the Adobe
> lawyers ... as they
> have (a lot) more important things to do. Which leaves it open to write
> a new one *yey*. I am not
> sure when I will start with that. Any work I will do will be based on
> current code and not on the
> document (not not start to create any conflicts ...).

I think you could say:  We use the coding conventions at <link> with the
following changes, modifications, and enhancements...

Then it hopefully wouldn't take you as much time.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [Wiki] Code conventions