Posted to user@ant.apache.org by ritchie <ga...@baml.com> on 2010/10/27 19:55:19 UTC

echo a property

I have a properties file (new.properties) which contains key value pairs as
"prod.eg=1" "dev.eg=2" . I am trying to access the property from a ant build
file echo.xml by loading the property file in the script.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project name= "echo" default="echoeg">
<property name="env" value="{env}"/>
<target name="echoeg" description="">
<property file="new.properties"/>
<echo message="${${env}.executiongroups}"/> -----> does not work
</target>
</project>

ant -f echo.xml -Denv prod

Could anyone tell me what is the correct syntax to access the property?

Re: echo a property

Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <gi...@maksimo.de>.
Posted by "Scot P. Floess" <sf...@nc.rr.com>.
Did you mean to put a space after -Denv= prod?

I think you mean

ant -f echo.xml -Denv=prod

--
Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect FlossWare  http://sourceforge.net/projects/flossware
                            http://flossware.sourceforge.net
                            https://github.com/organizations/FlossWare

Chief Architect JPlate     http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect JavaPIM    http://sourceforge.net/projects/javapim
Chief Architect Keros      http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros

Re: echo a property

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 27, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Gilbert Rebhan wrote:

> [...]

None at all, the types of things the props antlib can do were specifically accommodated by Ant's rewritten property APIs in v1.8.0.

Sorry for the bad news,
Matt

Re: echo a property

Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <gi...@maksimo.de>.
Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <gi...@maksimo.de>.
Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 27, 2010, at 4:05 PM, Vimil Saju wrote:

> You will need to enable nested property expansion.ant-contrib has a Property Helper class to expand nested properties. You will need to include this library in your ant class path and also specify something similar to follows
> 	 <propertyhelper>	        <nested/>	 </propertyhelper>

Are you talking about the props antlib?  http://ant.apache.org/antlibs/props/index.html

-Matt

Re: echo a property

Posted by "Scot P. Floess" <sf...@nc.rr.com>.
Ah yeah, property expansion issues :(  I was thinking in terms of
macrodefs...  oh well...

Pt well taken...

Re: echo a property

Posted by Vimil Saju <vi...@yahoo.com>.
You will need to enable nested property expansion.ant-contrib has a Property Helper class to expand nested properties. You will need to include this library in your ant class path and also specify something similar to follows
	 <propertyhelper>	        <nested/>	 </propertyhelper>
I am sorry that was  a typo when i posted it. That was not the problem.

My properties file- new.properties contains.

prod.eg=1
dev.eg=2

I am trying to access these properties in a echo.xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <project name= "echo" default="echoeg">
 <property name="env" value="${env}"/>
 <target name="echoeg" description="">
 <property file="new.properties"/>
 <echo message="${${env}.eg}"/> -----> does not work
 </target>
 </project>
>From command line i do this.
 ant -f echo.xml -Denv= prod

Re: echo a property

Posted by ritchie <ga...@baml.com>.
I am sorry that was  a typo when i posted it. That was not the problem.

My properties file- new.properties contains.

prod.eg=1
dev.eg=2

I am trying to access these properties in a echo.xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <project name= "echo" default="echoeg">
 <property name="env" value="${env}"/>
 <target name="echoeg" description="">
 <property file="new.properties"/>
 <echo message="${${env}.eg}"/> -----> does not work
 </target>
 </project>
>From command line i do this.
 ant -f echo.xml -Denv= prod

Re: echo a property

Posted by "Scot P. Floess" <sf...@nc.rr.com>.
I think you want this:

<property name="env" value="${env}"/>

You ommitted the $ sign...

Re: echo a property

Posted by ritchie <ga...@baml.com>.
I strongly believe in upgrading the ANT version but i am not decision maker
in my place of work. I just write the scripts and there are separate teams
which does the actual deployment.

Re: echo a property

Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <gi...@maksimo.de>.
Posted by Vimil Saju <vi...@yahoo.com>.
I was wondering why you can't upgrade to ant 1.8.1?

Posted by ritchie <ga...@baml.com>.

Re: echo a property

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.

Re: echo a property