Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2020/05/20 09:01:45 UTC

Modify OFBiz commit message template

Hi,

With Git IMO it's convenient (more information) to have the Jira number in the title, eg: https://markmail.org/message/cyslglyoh5gf7l7t

If nobody disagree I'd like to modify

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+commit+message+template

We could have

----

[Implemented | Improved | Fixed | Completed| Documented | Reverted]: [Jira title | Free text] [(OFBIZ-xxxx)]

[(OFBIZ-xxxx)]

[More detailed explanation of what has been done and what the fix achieves,
sideeffects etc.]

[Thanks:] [xxxx for ... and yyyy for]

----

But I would prefer:
----
[Implemented | Improved | Fixed | Completed| Documented | Reverted]: [Jira title | Free text] [(OFBIZ-xxxx)]

[More detailed explanation of what has been done and what the fix achieves,
sideeffects etc.]

[Thanks:] [xxxx for ... and yyyy for]

----
Opinions?

Thanks

Jacques

Re: Modify OFBiz commit message template

Posted by Mridul Pathak <mr...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
+1

Thanks.
--
Mridul Pathak

Posted by Suraj Khurana <su...@hotwax.co>.
+1

--
Best Regards,
Suraj Khurana

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-11298 for that

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
See the thread

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
I meant this one:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks All,

Posted by James Yong <ja...@apache.org>.

----

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Can GitHub be configured that when a ticket Id is present it is shown as a
link to the ticket in Jira. IIRC I have seen it happening.

Posted by Benjamin Jugl <be...@ecomify.de>.
Hello everyone,

Am 20.05.20 um 11:36 schrieb Pierre Smits:
> The subject can be quite lengthy (as I have experienced a few times when
> doing PRs). I suggest to moving the ticket Id to the front of the first
> line.
> Also, whatever the categorisation is ([Implemented | Improved | Fixed |
> Completed| Documented | Reverted]: this should be referenced (at least) in
> the ticket.
>
> While having everything significant (like the categorisation) on the first
> line is desirable, the minimum is the ticket ID.
I concur.

> I don't mind (people) to click through to the ticket to get a better
> understanding.

I used to edit the commit messages for the publication on the blog a
while ago.
Having to click through all tickets to get a better understanding is not
much fun. Even with the status quo it has to be done sometimes.
Although I cherish the learning that can take place by diving into
resolved issues it is quite timeconsuming and cumbersome.

I like the "Thanks" even though it is not technically needed, it is
always nice to read it.

Re: Modify OFBiz commit message template

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.