Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bernadette Houghton <be...@deakin.edu.au> on 2009/08/26 06:54:34 UTC

encoding problem

We have an encoding problem with our solr application. That is, non-ASCII chars displaying fine in SOLR, but in googledegook in our application .

Our tomcat server.xml file already contains URIencoding="UTF-8" under the relevant <connector>.

A google search reveals that I should set the encoding for the JVM, but have no idea how to do this. I'm running Windows, and there is no tomcat process in my Windows Services.

TIA

Bernadette Houghton, Library Business Applications Developer
Deakin University Geelong Victoria 3217 Australia.
Phone: 03 5227 8230 International: +61 3 5227 8230
Fax: 03 5227 8000 International: +61 3 5227 8000
MSN: bern_houghton@hotmail.com
Email: bernadette.houghton@deakin.edu.au<ma...@deakin.edu.au>
Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au
<http://www.deakin.edu.au/>Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B (Vic)

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone.
Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free

RE: encoding problem

Posted by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca>.
If you are complaining about Web Application (other than SOLR) (probably
behind-the Apache HTTPD) having encoding problem - try to troubleshoot it
with Mozilla Firefox + Live Http Headers plugin.

Look at "Content-Encoding" HTTP response headers, and don't forget about

-Fuad
http://www.tokenizer.org

RE: encoding problem

Posted by Bernadette Houghton <be...@deakin.edu.au>.
Finally resolved the problem! The solution was 3-pronged on my windows PC-

Added to my.ini under mysqld-
default-character-set=utf8
collation_server=utf8_unicode_ci
character_set_server=utf8
skip-character-set-client-handshake

Added to JAVA_OPTS environmental variable –
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

Added to beginning of tomcat startup.bat (positioning is important!)
set JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8"

Thanks to everyone for their much appreciated help!

Bern

Shalin, the XML from solr admin for the relevant field is displaying as -

The weird thing is that the title displays OK in one place, but not in the "href" bit.

bern

RE: encoding problem

Posted by Bernadette Houghton <be...@deakin.edu.au>.

Re: encoding problem

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
Have you determined if the problem is on the indexing side or the
query side?  I don't see any reason you should have to set/change any
encoding in the JVM.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

RE: encoding problem

Posted by Bernadette Houghton <be...@deakin.edu.au>.

Re: encoding problem

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

RE: encoding problem

Posted by Bernadette Houghton <be...@deakin.edu.au>.
Thanks for your quick reply, Shalin.

Tomcat is running on my Windows machine, but does not appear in Windows Services (as I was expecting it should ... am I wrong?). I'm running it from a startup.bat on my desktop - see below. Do I add the Dfile line to the startup.bat?

SOLR is part of the repository software that we are running.

Thanks!

BERN

Startup.bat -
@echo off
if "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" setlocal
rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
rem Start script for the CATALINA Server
rem
rem $Id: startup.bat 302918 2004-05-27 18:25:11Z yoavs $
rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

rem Guess CATALINA_HOME if not defined
set CURRENT_DIR=%cd%
if not "%CATALINA_HOME%" == "" goto gotHome
set CATALINA_HOME=%CURRENT_DIR%
if exist "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat" goto okHome
cd ..
set CATALINA_HOME=%cd%
cd %CURRENT_DIR%
:gotHome
if exist "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat" goto okHome
echo The CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
echo This environment variable is needed to run this program
goto end
:okHome

set EXECUTABLE=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat

rem Check that target executable exists
if exist "%EXECUTABLE%" goto okExec
echo Cannot find %EXECUTABLE%
echo This file is needed to run this program
goto end
:okExec

rem Get remaining unshifted command line arguments and save them in the
set CMD_LINE_ARGS=
:setArgs
if ""%1""=="""" goto doneSetArgs
set CMD_LINE_ARGS=%CMD_LINE_ARGS% %1
shift
goto setArgs
:doneSetArgs

call "%EXECUTABLE%" start %CMD_LINE_ARGS%

:end

Re: encoding problem

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Bernadette Houghton <
bernadette.houghton@deakin.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi Shalin, stupid question - I'm an apache/solr newbie - but how do I
> access the JVM???

When you execute the java executable, just add -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 as a
command line argument to the executable.

How are you consuming Solr? You mentioned there is no tomcat, is your solr
client a desktop java application?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

RE: encoding problem

Posted by Bernadette Houghton <be...@deakin.edu.au>.
Hi Shalin, stupid question - I'm an apache/solr newbie - but how do I access the JVM???

Regards
Bern

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Bernadette Houghton <
bernadette.houghton@deakin.edu.au> wrote:

> We have an encoding problem with our solr application. That is, non-ASCII
> chars displaying fine in SOLR, but in googledegook in our application .
>
> Our tomcat server.xml file already contains URIencoding="UTF-8" under the
> relevant <connector>.
>
> A google search reveals that I should set the encoding for the JVM, but
> have no idea how to do this. I'm running Windows, and there is no tomcat
> process in my Windows Services.

Add the following parameter to the JVM:

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.