Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Pa...@chase.com on 2002/10/22 11:40:17 UTC

storing metadata

I believe the adobe pdf standard includes the ability to store metadata
with the pdf.

XMP i think they call it. I would like to extend FOP to allow storing of
this metadata within the produced PDF.

I could then store the FO inside the PDF for later reference.

Any ideas if this feasible and how I could go about it ??

Regards

Paul.

Re: storing metadata

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Paul.Hussein@chase.com wrote:

> I believe the adobe pdf standard includes the ability to store metadata
> with the pdf.
>
> XMP i think they call it. I would like to extend FOP to allow storing of
> this metadata within the produced PDF.
>
> I could then store the FO inside the PDF for later reference.
>
> Any ideas if this feasible and how I could go about it ??

Just take generated pdf and process it as you wish using third-party software
(iText is a good one).

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

Re: storing metadata

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 Paul.Hussein@chase.com wrote:

> XMP i think they call it. I would like to extend FOP to allow storing of
> this metadata within the produced PDF.

I'd love to see this !

See: http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/main.html for more details. But
this is really just RDF.

	http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/xmp/pdf/MetadataFramework.pdf

Page 12 sums it all up in general.

And in
	http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/xmp/download/docs/XMPEmbedding.pdf

you will find exactly how to put it into PDF.

> Any ideas if this feasible and how I could go about it ??

Well; two methods; the first one (which is easiest but gets you little in
return) would be it integrate the adobe SDK with apache by using their
library interface. However it would be very limited to a few platforms and
propably not worth your time and a nightmare to maintain.

The second method is to read and study the XMPEmbedding.pdf spec and start
to code that directly into FOP. In the medium and long run that is
propably the quickest route; and luckily the standard is quite simple.

Once you've got something working - just post the patch on this list.

If there are -any- licenseing questions around this community;
pmc@xml.apache.org is the place to ask; and/or board@apache.org. And they
will use watherver legal cycles to make sure it is all sound.

Alternatively - there are plenty of small commercial outfits in the apache
ecosystem which would be happy to simply implement this for you and if
permitted by the customer would make it open source later.

Of course - wether this code ever makes it into FOP depends on if most of
the developers reach consensus as to wether this is a cool feature.

Dw

AW: storing metadata

Posted by "J.U. Anderegg" <ha...@bluewin.ch>.
Hi Paul,

Do you want to embed the XSL:FO input in the PDF document?

If this is so:
o "embedding files in PDF" is the thing to do, but quite a challenge to
build into the PDF renderer.
o out of pure curiosity: why?

Hansuli Anderegg

RE: storing metadata

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 16:52, Victor Mote wrote:
> Paul Hussein wrote:
>
> > I believe the adobe pdf standard includes the ability to store metadata
> > with the pdf.
> >
> > XMP i think they call it. I would like to extend FOP to allow storing of
> > this metadata within the produced PDF.
> >
> > I could then store the FO inside the PDF for later reference.
> >
> > Any ideas if this feasible and how I could go about it ??
>
> It sure looks feasible to me, and is something I have thought about adding.
>
> Others have already given some thoughts on how to get the information into
> the PDF. I agree with Dirk-Willem that that writing it directly into the PDF
> (along with all of the other FOP output) is the better way to go.
>
> The other issue is how to get the info into the FO file. It seems to me that
> this will require an extension, so be sure to check out
> http://xml.apache.org/fop/extensions.html if you haven't already.

Getting the data into the PDF should be quite easy with an extension.
The bookmark extension is a more complicated example of the sort of
thing needed.

Your extension element would contain the xmp data xml information which
is put into a pdf stream of type Metadata.

The difficult part is creating the xmp data, whatever it is.

RE: storing metadata

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Paul Hussein wrote:

> I believe the adobe pdf standard includes the ability to store metadata
> with the pdf.
>
> XMP i think they call it. I would like to extend FOP to allow storing of
> this metadata within the produced PDF.
>
> I could then store the FO inside the PDF for later reference.
>
> Any ideas if this feasible and how I could go about it ??

It sure looks feasible to me, and is something I have thought about adding.

Others have already given some thoughts on how to get the information into
the PDF. I agree with Dirk-Willem that that writing it directly into the PDF
(along with all of the other FOP output) is the better way to go.

The other issue is how to get the info into the FO file. It seems to me that
this will require an extension, so be sure to check out
http://xml.apache.org/fop/extensions.html if you haven't already.

Victor Mote