Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com> on 2005/05/11 13:56:55 UTC

toString() method disappearing

Hi!

I have some services that I get from HM. They all extend a common class
which implements the toString() method (using ToStringBuilder inside).

If I don't use HiveMind the toString() from the extended class will be
called, if I obtain the ifaces through HM services, toString() does
nearly nothing (i certainly does not call the parent-class' toString()
method). I guess this is a bug!? How can I work around it?

David

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com

Fwd: toString() method disappearing

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
As James said, its the Proxy that gets the toString() implementation,
not the core service implementation.

The other methods you mentioned are not implemented by the Proxy or
passed on to the core service implementation.

The idea is to be able to get (in the debugger) a good idea of what
the mysterious $FooProxy_18433128aqb4587a class is.

http://howardlewisship.com/blog/2003/08/importance-of-tostring.html

What I don't support and will not allow is forcing the creation of the
CSI just to get its toString().  If that's important, toString() must
be part of the service interface.

On 5/11/05, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> But, what you're dealing with is a proxy.  It's not subclassing the impl
> class, unless you're using bean services.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

RE: toString() method disappearing

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.

Posted by Knut Wannheden <kn...@gmail.com>.
David,

I remember something like this being discussed a few months back... Is
this what you mean?
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.hivemind.devel/991

--knut

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.