Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com> on 2004/07/26 20:36:55 UTC

[codec]lang] Make StringEncodings public?

Hello,

Currently, org.apache.commons.codec.net.StringEncodings is a package
private interface which defines two constants used in the package. I've
run into a case where I would like to access a constant from our
application. I wonder if it would make sense to move the interface to
org.apache.commons.codec as a public interface and add the 4 missing
constants as defined by
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/lang/package-summary.html#cha
renc

The only con I can think of is that the interface really belongs in
[lang] IMO. So the choices are, in my order of preference:

(1) Add a complete StringEncodings (6 constants) to [lang], don't touch
[codec]
(2) Do as above, do not touch [lang].

?

I like (1) best.