Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org> on 2014/06/13 02:14:30 UTC

non-space whitespace in name

Hi,

according to [0] oak does not allow a non-space whitespace in the
name. this is different than in jackrabbit. also it should be allowed
based on [1].

the problem at hand is, that we have content with 'no-break-space'
chars in node names, that doesn't install in oak anymore.

regards, toby

[0] https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-oak/blob/trunk/oak-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/name/Namespaces.java#L252

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#NT-Char

Re: non-space whitespace in name

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org> wrote:
> according to [0] oak does not allow a non-space whitespace in the
> name. this is different than in jackrabbit. also it should be allowed
> based on [1].

We intentionally apply stricter name rules than what the spec allows.
See the discussion in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-1624.

> the problem at hand is, that we have content with 'no-break-space'
> chars in node names, that doesn't install in oak anymore.

How widespread is this issue? If it's just a few isolated cases, I
would rather fix such content on a case-by-case basis.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: non-space whitespace in name

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

>From a user's perspective, it concerns me that item names are being changed when migrating from Jackrabbit (2) to Oak (Jackrabbit 3) … This may (or may not) cause applications to mysteriously break.

Just my $.02 to consider — not a requirement to change OAK-1624

Regards
Felix

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2014-06-13 15:37, Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 2014-06-13 02:14, Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> according to [0] oak does not allow a non-space whitespace in the
>>> name. this is different than in jackrabbit. also it should be allowed
>>> based on [1].
>>>
>>> the problem at hand is, that we have content with 'no-break-space'
>>> chars in node names, that doesn't install in oak anymore.
>>>
>>> regards, toby
>>>
>>> [0]
>>> https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-oak/blob/trunk/oak-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/name/Namespaces.java#L252
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#NT-Char
>>

>> Looking at Jackrabbit's PathParser
>> (org.apache.jackrabbit.spi.commons.conversion), it seems that non-SP
>> whitespace characters aren't allowed here either.
>
> but creating nodes with such chars works. so, is it a bug or not?

Does it?

Maybe there's a higher-level component that actually converts non-SP
whitespace to proper whitespace before passing the name to JCR?

Best regards, Julian

Re: non-space whitespace in name

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.