Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by David Kerber <da...@cox.net> on 2007/06/08 20:22:17 UTC

Questions about Lenya for a looker

Hello All,
    I'm looking for a content management system to manage our website and found Lenya.  Would you please answer some questions for me about Lenya so we can make an informed decision?

1.  I see that cocoon has the ability to connect to a database but I haven't seen any detail on how to connect Lenya to a database.  Any details on this would be greatly appreciated.

2.  I understand that I can use cocoon components in my system.  Are there any ajax components available, can they be written?

3.  Can custom components be placed into a page with any of the WYSIWYG editors?

4.  How do I change the layout of my main page?  I couldn't find a visual editor for that?  Is it  done with XSLT?  If so, what files would I edit exactly?

5.  I've looked at the list of lenya implemented pages, what are the most complex or involved websites in use?

Thanks in advance.

dave

Re: Questions about Lenya for a looker

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Bob Harner schrieb:

[...]

>> 2.  I understand that I can use cocoon components in my system.  Are
>> there any ajax components available, can they be written?
>
> Lenya uses a little bit of AJAX internally (for the site tree menu),
> but as far as I know there aren't any AJAX "components" available yet.
> What sort of components did you have in mind?

Cocoon Forms support AJAX (http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/ajax.html),
so if you're using CForms in Lenya you can also use the AJAX block.

>> 3.  Can custom components be placed into a page with any of the
>> WYSIWYG editors?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "custom components", but the answer is
> probably no.

IIUC David means something like HTML widgets, e.g., a voting widget
or a teaser section on the homepage. Usually you implement this using
a specific XML placeholder element, which is expanded by the
presentation pipelines:

  <myns:teaser src="..."/>

You can add this element in BXE (preferrably with some custom CSS),
you won't see the expanded widget though.

[...]

>> 5.  I've looked at the list of lenya implemented pages, what are the
>> most complex or involved websites in use?
>
> I have no idea, maybe one of the other readers can help answer this one...

Among the sites I was involved with, the Neue Zürcher Zeitung is
probably the most complex, i.e. it uses quite a lot of custom
functionality. The University of Zurich Course List is a good
example for database integration - Lenya is used as an application
framework here, not to manage the content.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Questions about Lenya for a looker

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/8/07, David Kerber <da...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hello All,
>     I'm looking for a content management system to manage our website and found Lenya.  Would you please answer some questions for me about Lenya so we can make an informed decision?
>
> 1.  I see that cocoon has the ability to connect to a database but I haven't seen any detail on how to connect Lenya to a database.  Any details on this would be greatly appreciated.

Currently, Lenya (both versions 1.2.5 and 1.4) use the file system
rather than a database for all of its storage needs, and there is as
yet no built-in capability to use a database.  (Plans call for the
support of the JSR-170 interface, at which time a JSR-170-compliant
backend like Apache Jackrabbit could be implemented using a database
for storage.)  There are interfaces in Lenya for just about
everything, though, and the I/O classes could be modified to support
database persistence.  Michael Ralston has done a lot of work in this
area (google: Michael Ralston Lenya EJB), but I don't believe any of
it has been incorporated into the code base yet (AFAIK).

Lenya uses Cocoon, however, and if you have a need to incorporate
content from a database into a Lenya-produced web page, you could set
up a Cocoon pipeline -- in a sitemap (.xmap) file -- whose generator
pulls the data from the database (see Cocoon docs on this, google:
cocoon database).  Then aggregate that pipeline's output into one of
the existing Lenya pipelines.  Just a thought, not something I've done
myself.

> 2.  I understand that I can use cocoon components in my system.  Are there any ajax components available, can they be written?

Lenya uses a little bit of AJAX internally (for the site tree menu),
but as far as I know there aren't any AJAX "components" available yet.
 What sort of components did you have in mind?

> 3.  Can custom components be placed into a page with any of the WYSIWYG editors?

I'm not sure what you mean by "custom components", but the answer is
probably no.

> 4.  How do I change the layout of my main page?  I couldn't find a visual editor for that?  Is it  done with XSLT?  If so, what files would I edit exactly?

The layout of all pages in Lenya is done via XSLT files.  The visual
editors are only used to edit the content, not the layout.

$LENYA_DIR/your_pub_name/xslt/page2xhtml.xsl controls the layout of
your publication's home page.  See
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/HowToModifyingHTMLStructure