Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2005/05/01 22:46:12 UTC

Removing @author tags

Hi all,

We decided a long time ago to remove @author tags, but never actually
did it. In the meantime, most if not all new classes added since we made
that decision have no author tag. This leads to a somewhat inconsistent
state where only "old" authors are mentioned.

So, I think it's really time to do some cleanup and remove these tags
everywhere.

IIRC Bertrand ran a script to extract the current tags to build a
credits file. Bertrand, any information on this?

Also, we have to decide if we simply don't put @author tags or if we add
something like "@author the Cocoon development team". I personally
prefer no tags at all.

WDYT?

Sylvain

Re: Removing @author tags

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>> Fine with me

>>> I did save the @author info in misc/credits/author-tags.txt, see
>>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=108090645721205&w=2
>>>
>>> But IIRC (cannot find the relevant messages), we compressed and/or
>>> moved the file later to avoid having email addresses in CVS commit
>>> messages.
>>>
>>> Anyway an svn export with today's date (or even the 2.1.7 distro)
>>> would later provide all this info in case we need it, so saving tags
>>> to a file before removing them is not needed. Maybe just poll the
>>> lists for authors who think they should be mentioned in the credits
>>> or status file.
>>

>> IMO it's not worth asking again: they had the occasion to raise their
>> hands when we first decided to remove author tags.

>>> Same here.
>>

>> Ok. I'll do the cleanup in the coming days.
>

> I think such a touchy issue might require a little more formal vote to
> be really future-proof.

It seemed clear to me that we made this decision long ago, and that we
just were lazy to actually do the change.

Now I digged the archives and couldn't find a formal vote, but just the
discussion following Dirk's hindsightful explanation [1] and a poll [2].
The general consensus was about removing author tag though.

So let's start a fresh formal vote on this issue.

Sylvain

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=107783914605693&w=2
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=108089900026744&w=2

Re: Removing @author tags

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stefano.

Re: Removing @author tags

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Re: Removing @author tags

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 1 mai 05, à 22:46, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

> ...So, I think it's really time to do some cleanup and remove these
> tags everywhere...

Fine with me

> IIRC Bertrand ran a script to extract the current tags to build a
> credits file. Bertrand, any information on this?

I did save the @author info in misc/credits/author-tags.txt, see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=108090645721205&w=2

But IIRC (cannot find the relevant messages), we compressed and/or
moved the file later to avoid having email addresses in CVS commit
messages.

Anyway an svn export with today's date (or even the 2.1.7 distro) would
later provide all this info in case we need it, so saving tags to a
file before removing them is not needed. Maybe just poll the lists for
authors who think they should be mentioned in the credits or status
file.

> Also, we have to decide if we simply don't put @author tags or if we
> add something like "@author the Cocoon development team". I personally
> prefer no tags at all.

Same here.

-Bertrand

Re: Removing @author tags

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> So, I think it's really time to do some cleanup and remove these tags
> everywhere.

Not a big itch ...but sure

> IIRC Bertrand ran a script to extract the current tags to build a
> credits file. Bertrand, any information on this?

Credits? Wondering how that would look like?!
Do we need that at all? I mean we have a credits
file already. It should name all major contributions
and that's it - IMO.

> Also, we have to decide if we simply don't put @author tags or if we add
> something like "@author the Cocoon development team". I personally
> prefer no tags at all.