Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Raminderjeet Singh <ra...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/02 05:34:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.18 Release Candidate

Discussion thread for vote on 0.18 release candidate.

For more information on the release process, checkout -
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

Some of the things to check before voting are:
- can you run the demo binaries
- can you build the contents of source-release.zip and svn tag
- do all of the staged jars/zips contain the required LICENSE and NOTICE files
- are all of the staged artifacts signed and the signature verifiable
- is the signing key in the project's KEYS file and on a public server

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.18 Release Candidate

Posted by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.18 Release Candidate

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>.
Unfortunately I'm unable to check this release, so no vote from me. Please
let's not make this bug a blocker for 0.18. Before the next release we
should put more effort in extending the integration tests.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 12/05/2012 02:52 AM, Chris Geer wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
>
>> I tested the 0.18 release and all-in-all it works pretty fine.
>> The performance on H2 still is an issue of course but not blocking
>> (RAVE-838).
>> Also, RAVE-845 seems to be fixed, deleting a user with friend associations
>> now works.
>>
>> However I discovered a new, and IMO worse error RAVE-859: when I delete a
>> user who has pages shared with, that action also deletes those shared pages
>> which aren't 'owned' by this user. Rather destructive...
>>
>> I'm not sure we should qualify this as a release blocker, as we already
>> canceled the previous release candidate, but *functionally* it certainly
>> qualifies. I don't know if anyone (yet) is using this feature in an
>> (almost) production environment, but if so then they should *not* upgrade
>> to this 0.18 release candidate until this bug is fixed.
>> Or, well, maybe previous releases also had this bug already (I haven't had
>> time to check) in which case it doesn't really matter.
>>
>> WDYT: should we accept this as a known/recognized bug (and then highlight
>> this in the release announcement) or qualify this as a release blocker?
>>

> I vote that we proceed with the release and put a note not to upgrade if
> you use this feature. That way people who don't use the feature get an
> upgrade and the people who do use it are not any worse off as long as they
> don't upgrade.
>
> Two questions on RAVE-859
>   - Do you know if it's a logic error (we are purposely deleting the page)
No, I haven't had time to look at the code yet, won't have time either until
later this week. But purposely deleting the page (when knowing it is shared but
not owned) doesn't sound logical to me. Its a bug anyway.

> or is it an unintended JPA delete based on referential integrity?
>   - How will your work on the HMVC impact pages and page sharing? Will it
> fix this issue by replacing it with a different approach?
No, the HMVC deals with functionality on a page, not with the management of
pages themselves.

Posted by Raminderjeet Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.
I agree to proceed with the release with the note as we missed last release also. We need to expand our tests for such cases. I spent enough time testing features listed on release test page. We need to update that page and make everyone aware to keep updating that for new features.

Thanks
Raminder

Posted by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.