Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com> on 2017/07/10 10:24:40 UTC

"Incubating" on GitHub

According to the Lucene.Net website (https://lucenenet.apache.org/), we "graduated" from incubation several years ago (sometime before 3.0.3 was released). Yet the description of the GitHub repo says "Mirror of Apache Lucene.Net (incubating)" (https://github.com/apache/lucenenet).

1.       Can we remove "(incubating)" from the description?

2.       Can we add something to the description to indicate although it is a mirror, this is the "official" place to make contributions?

I would do it myself, but I don't have access to these GitHub settings.

These types of things likely give people pause about downloading the software and actually have given me pause about contributing in the first place, as I am sure it does with others.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

Re: "Incubating" on GitHub

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2017-07-11, Shad Storhaug wrote:

> https://github.com/apache/lucenenet#download

> I tried putting badges from all of the packages, but since they all look the same it is a bit confusing to include them. But since we are standardizing the version number across all packages, one badge should be enough.

+1

Stefan

RE: "Incubating" on GitHub

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.
Stefan,

Thanks for the suggestion. https://github.com/apache/lucenenet#download

I tried putting badges from all of the packages, but since they all look the same it is a bit confusing to include them. But since we are standardizing the version number across all packages, one badge should be enough.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

> 2.       Can we add something to the description to indicate although it is a mirror, this is the "official" place to make contributions?

> I would do it myself, but I don't have access to these GitHub settings.

At least we can add something along those lines to the README.md.

I just saw the nuget banner, should we add one for hte 4.0-pre releases as well? For XMLUnit.NET I'm using https://shields.io/ which supports pre releases, it doesn't look as if fury.io did.

Stefan

Re: "Incubating" on GitHub

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

RE: "Incubating" on GitHub

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
Done

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2017-07-17, Prescott Nasser wrote:

> That could be, but that's something we can easily change ourselves.

Sure.

> I was thinking anything in the header "Mirror of Apache Lucene.Net"
> (where we removed the (incubating))

I didn't know we had any direct influence on it :-)

No, I'm not aware of any project customizing it.

Stefan

RE: "Incubating" on GitHub

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
That could be, but that's something we can easily change ourselves. I was thinking anything in the header "Mirror of Apache Lucene.Net" (where we removed the (incubating))

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.
Presscott,

Thanks!

Stefan,

Thanks for a better example of CONTRIBUTING.md. I updated ours to be similar, so it is much easier to parse visually, and made it clear that GitHub is the place to submit PRs. https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

Re: "Incubating" on GitHub

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.