Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Wood <sw...@pcats.org> on 2006/08/03 20:43:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Authentication via link

I have an Apache server using basic authentication.  I have a directory
that I'm attempting to protect.  The authentication works fine but what
I would like to be able to accomplish is allowing direct access via a
link on another website that I manage.  The other website already has
authentication in place and I would like to be able to provide a link
and not have to revalidate.  I had hoped that the 'Allow from url' would
work but that appear to only apply to the source point of the client's
browser.  Is there a way that I could allow access from a link href?  In
this particular case, I really don't care about the client but only that
they are coming from a protected website.

Thanks,
Scott

Re: [users@httpd] Authentication via link

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Thursday 03 August 2006 19:43, Scott Wood wrote:
> I have an Apache server using basic authentication.  I have a directory
> that I'm attempting to protect.  The authentication works fine but what
> I would like to be able to accomplish is allowing direct access via a
> link on another website that I manage.

You would need to write (or commission) a module to authenticate based
on Referer.  That of course wouldn't tell you the authenticated name of
your user, unless you had an individualised URL at one (or both) of the
hosts in question.  It would also fail for users whose privacy settings
won't tell you where they're coming from.

Alternatively, a move to directory authentication such as LDAP might help.

--
Nick Kew