Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> on 2010/03/24 19:47:11 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Replace MailRepository with Mailbox / MailboxManager for POP3Server ...

Hi all,

I want to propose some really heavy change in current JAMES trunk, and
so next version. As all of you knows we are supporting IMAP in current
development version, which ships with its own mail store backend
called MailboxManager / Mailbox. For POP3 we use MailRepository as
backend.
I think this is a no go for a number of reasons, but the major one is
that we should be able to switch between IMAP and POP3 without the
need to migrate mails. So I rewrote the POP3Server to re-use the
MailboxManager / Mailbox stuff which is used by IMAP.

So if a user login via POP3 he will just see the folder called INBOX
and nothing else. With IMAP he will see all folders. Thats exactly
what dovecot and courier does ( both heavy used unix imap/pop3
servers).
Another advance is that we elimate one more dependency on storing
mails via javamail, which is not the way to go for the future ...
On the downside we will break backward-compatibility with every James
release we did before. So we will need to write a "migration" tool,
but this should not be to hard.

Because the change is so heavy, I dedicited to attach it to JIRA  for
review and not commit it directly.

You can find it here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-983

So what do you think ?

Bye,
Norman

Ps: The performance it really better then with the "old" backend ;)

Re: [PROPOSAL] Replace MailRepository with Mailbox / MailboxManager for POP3Server ...

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Not yet, but there will be one before a release..

Bye
Norman

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Bernd,

Posted by Manuel Carrasco Moñino <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Tim-Christian Mundt <de...@tim-erwin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> I know pop3 proto doesn't support folders, that I mean is a way to
>> configure the server to do that. Maybe at global or at user level.
>> It's like gmail behavior, when the user enables POP she can configure
>> what to do with the messages downloaded.
>
> Usually, this is configured in the client. It will delete the downloaded
> messages or just mark them read. That definitely needs to be possible.
> However, I can't see how to additionally configure this on the server
> side. The only thing could be to only mark mails as deleted instead of
> deleting them directly and only delete after a week or so. Although
> again this is a client feature if I'm not wrong. I can configure my
> client to download and delete after x days. Let's keep it simple,
> predictable and transparent.

Although the client can be configured to leave the messages in the
server, the server doesn't do anything with these messages. So the MUA
maintains a cache with some information about each message in order
not to download them again, or to ask the server to remove they after
a configured time.
The point is that if the user reads the email using other client,
messages which were downloaded, will be downloaded again (pop)  or
they are marked as unread (imap).
For instance, when in gmail you activate 'mark downloaded messages as
seen', the user never downloads the messages again using pop although
she changes the computer, she doesn't loose the messages, and can view
them as read using webmail or imap.

Cheers
Manolo

Posted by Tim-Christian Mundt <de...@tim-erwin.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Manuel Carrasco Moñino <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Norman Maurer
<no...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Manuel,
>
> Thx for the comments and for reviewing the stuff. Comments are inside...
>
> 2010/3/25 Manuel Carrasco Moñino <ma...@apache.org>:
>> Hi Norman, I''ve tried your patch and it works fine for me.
>>
>> Just a bunch of notes:
>> - It is necessary to uncomment the SieveMailet line to get the mails
>> in the IMAP repository. I suppose this should be the default.
>
> True, I would even rewrite the SieveMailet a bit for this.. But that
> is not a biggy
>
>> - It is supposed that James has to compile with java 1.5, but you are
>> using isEmpty() :-(
>
> Could catch, will replace this once we dedicited to commit the diff
>
>> - I think the name of the "INBOX" has to be provided by the
>> mailboxmanager instead of be hardcoded.
>
> Well INBOX is the default you would use with javamail too. So I don't
> saw this as a big problem ..

true enough

>> - Another thing is related with the 'DELE' command, messages are
>> marked for deleting, but it seems that they are not deleted until the
>> user does a quit, so in the case of a failure in the connection the
>> messages doesn't go deleted.
>
> I need to reread on this but I thought thats exactly how pop3 is
> supposed to work. In fact this was what the pop3server did before too

Maybe it was a bug. I think courier deletes the mail when the user
sends the DELE command, but not sure, I've to check.

Posted by Manuel Carrasco Moñino <ma...@apache.org>.
Hello Norman

You are right, the call to method isEmpty in your patch is for a List
not for a String and the RFC is clear enough about the delete and quit
command.

So the patch is fine for me.

Thanks
Manolo

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Manuel,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Manuel,

> [...]

>>> servers).
>>> Another advance is that we elimate one more dependency on storing
>>> mails via javamail, which is not the way to go for the future ...
>>> On the downside we will break backward-compatibility with every James
>>> release we did before. So we will need to write a "migration" tool,
>>> but this should not be to hard.
>>>
>>> Because the change is so heavy, I dedicited to attach it to JIRA  for
>>> review and not commit it directly.
>>>
>>> You can find it here:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-983
>>>
>>> So what do you think ?
>>
>> +1 on the proposal, (didn't review the code).
>>
>> This is what I suggested a long time ago, (and maybe if I search the
>> archives I'll find it, but if not than I wish that I would have
>> suggested it).
>>
>> Can you outline why is this such a big change and where the risks are

Bye,
Norman

Re: [PROPOSAL] Replace MailRepository with Mailbox / MailboxManager for POP3Server ...

Posted by Manuel Carrasco Moñino <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Eric,

just post the infos when you have them, and I will look what I can do..

Bye,
Norman

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi Norman,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

Fwd: [PROPOSAL] Replace MailRepository with Mailbox / MailboxManager for POP3Server ...

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi Norman,

Re: Re: Re: [PROPOSAL] Replace MailRepository with Mailbox / MailboxManager for POP3Server ...

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi Norman,

Many tks for your quick answer.

I had defined in my Thunderbird 3.0.3 client (on linux) the pop3 account
as the default one.
When launching thunderbird, the connection was succefully done "Host
contacted, sending login information", saying after 1 second
"Determining which messages to index" (never saw that message
before...), hanging there a few minutes, and finally saying "connection
to server ... timed out". After that, Imap account behaved also such a
way...
I also tried with latest Thundrebird 3.0.3: same result...

I have now defined the imap account as the default one, and it's working
fine even without any mail in the inbox.
However, for the pop3 account, I still have the same behaviour.  Anyway,
I have a temporary workaround right now.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Great Norman,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
2010/3/24 Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to propose some really heavy change in current JAMES trunk, and
> so next version. As all of you knows we are supporting IMAP in current
> development version, which ships with its own mail store backend
> called MailboxManager / Mailbox. For POP3 we use MailRepository as
> backend.
> I think this is a no go for a number of reasons, but the major one is
> that we should be able to switch between IMAP and POP3 without the
> need to migrate mails. So I rewrote the POP3Server to re-use the
> MailboxManager / Mailbox stuff which is used by IMAP.

I think this is a good think. I also hope MailboxManager/Mailbox API
can be improved and simplified, but using a single API is the only way
to go. Once we use only one we'll better understand how to improve it.

> So if a user login via POP3 he will just see the folder called INBOX
> and nothing else. With IMAP he will see all folders. Thats exactly
> what dovecot and courier does ( both heavy used unix imap/pop3
> servers).

A good extension would be to have a "login pattern" to read custom folders..
e.g: I login as "username#FOLDER" with username password and this way
I get access to FOLDER instead of INBOX.
The same could be applied to the delete behaviour (something like the
"recent:" prefix hack in gmail).

> Another advance is that we elimate one more dependency on storing
> mails via javamail, which is not the way to go for the future ...
> On the downside we will break backward-compatibility with every James
> release we did before. So we will need to write a "migration" tool,
> but this should not be to hard.

IMO at this point we should plainly ignore backward compatibility.
AFTER we'll have a working release we'll define a migration path (with
the help of users wanting to upgrade).

> Because the change is so heavy, I dedicited to attach it to JIRA  for
> review and not commit it directly.
>
> You can find it here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-983
>
> So what do you think ?