Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Aishwarya Chaurasia <ai...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/06 12:09:27 UTC

Regarding incubator systemml/breast_cancer project

Hey,

The object sc is already defined in pyspark and yet this name error keeps
occurring. We are using spark 2.*

Here is the link to error that we are getting :
https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/89iQODxzpNZVbSfgwocH8l5M1UNdIGYhyRLivL9gydE=

Re: Regarding incubator systemml/breast_cancer project

Posted by Mike Dusenberry <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aishwarya,

Glad to hear that the preprocessing stage was successful!  As for the
`MachineLearning.ipynb` notebook, here is a general guide:

   - The `MachineLearning.ipynb` notebook essentially (1) loads in the
   training and validation DataFrames from the preprocessing step, (2)
   converts them to normalized & one-hot encoded SystemML matrices for
   consumption by the ML algorithms, and (3) explores training a couple of
   models.
   - To run, you'll need to start Jupyter in the context of PySpark via
   `PYSPARK_PYTHON=python3 PYSPARK_DRIVER_PYTHON=jupyter
   PYSPARK_DRIVER_PYTHON_OPTS="notebook" pyspark  --jars
   $SYSTEMML_HOME/target/SystemML.jar`.  Note that if you have installed
   SystemML with pip from PyPy (`pip3 install systemml`), this will install
   our 0.13 release, and the `--jars $SYSTEMML_HOME/target/SystemML.jar` will
   not be necessary.  If you instead have installed a bleeding-edge version of
   SystemML locally (git clone locally, maven build, `pip3 install -e
   src/main/python` as listed in `projects/breast_cancer/README.md`), the
   `--jars $SYSTEMML_HOME/target/SystemML.jar` part *is* necessary.  We are
   about to release 0.14, and for this project, I *would* recommend using a
   bleeding edge install.
   - Once Jupyter has been started in the context of PySpark, the `sc`
   SparkContext object should be available.  Please let me know if you
   continue to see this issue.
   - The "Read in train & val data" section simply reads in the training
   and validation data generated in the preprocessing stage.  Be sure that the
   `size` setting is the same as the preprocessing size.  The percentage `p`
   setting determines whether the full or sampled DataFrames are loaded.  If
   you set `p = 1`, the full DataFrames will be used.  If you instead would
   prefer to use the smaller sampled DataFrames while getting started, please
   set it to the same value as used in the preprocessing to generate the
   smaller sampled DataFrames.
   - The `Extract X & Y matrices` section splits each of the train and
   validation DataFrames into effectively X & Y matrices (still as DataFrame
   types), with X containing the images, and Y containing the labels.
   - The `Convert to SystemML Matrices` section passes the X & Y DataFrames
   into a SystemML script that performs some normalization of the images &
   one-hot encoding of the labels, and then returns SystemML `Matrix` types.
   These are now ready to be passed into the subsequent algorithms.
   - The "Trigger Caching" and "Save Matrices" are experimental features,
   and not necessary to execute.
   - Next comes the two algorithms being explored in this notebook.  The
   "Softmax Classifier" is just a multi-class logistic regression model, and
   is simply there to serve as a baseline comparison with the subsequent
   convolutional neural net model.  You may wish to simply skip this softmax
   model and move to the latter convnet model further down in the notebook.
   - The actual softmax model is located at [
   https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/blob/master/projects/breast_cancer/softmax_clf.dml],
   and the notebook calls functions from that file.
   - The softmax sanity check just ensures that the model is able to
   completely overfit when given a tiny sample size.  This should yield ~100%
   training accuracy if the sample size in this section is small enough.  This
   is just a check to ensure that nothing else is wrong with the math or the
   data.
   - The softmax "Train" section will train a softmax model and return the
   weights (`W`) and biases (`b`) of the model as SystemML `Matrix` objects.
   Please adjust the hyperparameters in this section to your problem.
   - The softmax "Eval" section takes the trained weights and biases and
   evaluates the training and validation performance.
   - The next model is a LeNet-like convnet model.  The actual model is
   located at [
   https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/blob/master/projects/breast_cancer/convnet.dml],
   and the notebook simply calls functions from that file.
   - Once again, there is an initial sanity check for the ability to
   overfit on a small amount of data.
   - The "Hyperparameter Search" contains a script to sample different
   hyperparams for the convnet, and save the hyperparams + validation accuracy
   of each set after a single epoch of training.  These string files will be
   saved to HDFS.  Please feel free to adjust the range of the hyperparameters
   for your problem.  Please also feel free to try using the `parfor`
   (parallel for-loop) instead of the while loop to speed up this section.
   Note that this is still a work in progress.  The hyperparameter tuning in
   this section makes use of random search (as opposed to grid search), which
   has been promoted by Bengio et al. to speed up the search time.
   - The "Train" section trains the convnet and returns the weights and
   biases as SystemML `Matrix` types.  In this section, please replace the
   hyperparameters with the best ones from above, and please increase the
   number of epochs given your time constraints.
   - The "Eval" section evaluates the performance of the trained convnet.
   - Although it is not shown in the notebook yet, to save the weights and
   biases, please use the `toDF()` method on each weight and biases (i.e.
   `Wc1.toDF()`) to convert to a Spark DataFrame, and then simply save the
   DataFrame as desired.
   - Finally, please feel free to extend the model in `convnet.dml` for
   your particular problem!  The LeNet-like model just serves as a simple
   convnet, but there are much richer models currently, such as resnets, that
   we are experimenting with.  To make larger models such as resnets easier to
   define, we are also working on other tools for converting model definitions
   + pretrained weights from other systems into SystemML.

Also, please keep in mind that the deep learning support in SystemML is
still a work in progress.  Therefore, if you run into issues, please let us
know and we'll do everything possible to help get things running!

Thanks!

- Mike

--

Michael W. Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw

Posted by Aishwarya Chaurasia <ai...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

Posted by du...@gmail.com.

Posted by Aishwarya Chaurasia <ai...@gmail.com>.
Hello sir,

Posted by Aishwarya Chaurasia <ai...@gmail.com>.
Hello sir,

  * The preprocessing Python script is located at https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/blob/master/projects/breast_cancer/preprocess.py.  Note that this is different than the library module at https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/blob/master/projects/breast_cancer/breastcancer/preprocessing.py.
  * This script is used to preprocess a set of histology slide images, which are `.svs` files in our case, and `.tiff` files in your case.
  * Lines 63-79 contain "settings" such as the output image sizes, folder paths, etc.  Of particular interest, line 72 has the folder path for the original slide images that should be commonly accessible from all machines being used, and lines 74-79 contain the names of the output DataFrames that will be saved.
  * Line 82 performs the actual preprocessing and creates a Spark DataFrame with the following columns: slide number, tumor score, molecular score, sample.  The "sample" in this case is the actual small, chopped-up section of the image that has been extracted and flattened into a row Vector.  For test images without labels (`training=false`), only the slide number and sample will be contained in the DataFrame (i.e. no labels).  This calls the `preprocess(...)` function located on line 371 of https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/blob/master/projects/breast_cancer/breastcancer/preprocessing.py, which is a different file.

Posted by Aishwarya Chaurasia <ai...@gmail.com>.
Hello sir,