Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by "Adam W. Dace" <co...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/26 03:13:51 UTC

Forward-Caching SSL Question

For a long time I've been running either a local ATS proxy, or a
child/parent combination for my web browsing and it has me wondering.

I'm pretty sure the connection between browser and ATS when using SSL is
unencrypted.
But does that matter?  If I have my facts right the encryption going on for
SSL is simply between the browser itself and the remote origin website,
with ATS acting as a pass-through.

To put my question simply...if I switched from a local ATS forward proxy to
one located on the public Internet would I be putting myself at risk when
using SSL?  I'd hate to think my SSL traffic would be vulnerable to any
sort of snooping.

Thanks In Advance.

Regards,

Adam

Adam W. Dace <co...@gmail.com>

Phone: (815) 355-7285
Microsoft Messenger - colonelforbin74@live.com <ad...@turing.com>

Google Profile: https://plus.google.com/u/0/109309036874332290399/about

Re: Forward-Caching SSL Question

Posted by Bill Zeng <bi...@gmail.com>.
If I understand correctly, SSL traffic would still be encrypted even
through an ATS forward proxy located on the public internet. It would not
make sense for the ATS to decrypt the SSL traffic and forward plain
traffic, although I suppose you can configure it that way.

Posted by "Adam W. Dace" <co...@gmail.com>.
Thank you both for the information, I feel a ton better about giving things
a try now.

Regards,

Adam