Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rashmi Amlani <rr...@yahoo.com> on 2007/12/06 04:26:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Geting rid of the ? in the URL

Hi all!
  I am a total newbie to apache. Have recently installed Apache 2.2, mySql and Drupal on  winxp and everything seems to be working fine However I cannot figure out a way of getting rid of the ? in the url so like instead of http://localhost/drupal/?q=manufacturer  I would like http://localhost/drupal/manufacturer
  I have tried to read and follow all the clean url instructions that I could fine online but nothing seems to be working. Pls help!
  Thanks

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Geting rid of the ? in the URL

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 6, 2007 11:01 PM, Rashmi Amlani <rr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ok here's what I have done so far
> 1. In httpd.conf
>          I uncommented the following line:
> a.)  LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
> b.)  set the AllowOverwrite to ALL

This must ofcourse be
AllowOverride All

> I hope this helps. What am I missing or doing wrong?

If you have access to your httpd.conf it is better to put the rewrite
rules in there. The drupal people definitely advise that (and this is
how I did it). The docs have the details.
Furthermore you need to make sure that you've set your drupal install
itself to generate "friendly URLs". You can test if your rewrite rules
work by requesting a page yourself.

For example, you can log in as admin to your site and then enter the
following in your browser's adres bar.

http://<yoursite>/drupal/admin

(This asumes that /drupal is the base url of your drupal install.). It
you get the admin site then your rewrite work, and your problem is
that Drupal isn't generating nice URLs.

Krist
--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

Re: [users@httpd] Geting rid of the ? in the URL

Posted by Rashmi Amlani <rr...@yahoo.com>.
ok here's what I have done so far
  1. In httpd.conf
           I uncommented the following line:
  a.)  LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
  b.)  set the AllowOverwrite to ALL
  2.  In the .htaccess file I have :
  a.)  Set the rewritebase to /drupal
  b.) Set the RewriteEngine to On
  c.) uncommented the following code:
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
  RewriteRule ^(.*)$/ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]

  I hope this helps. What am I missing or doing wrong?
  Thanks.

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Geting rid of the ? in the URL

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 6, 2007 2:21 PM, Rashmi Amlani <rr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have already read and followed these drupal instructions but it still
> does'nt work. I do not know if this will help but even the clean url radio
> button is grayed out in the clean url configuration page. The clean url test
> however fails. Please help... I am running out of options now.

Unless you tell us what changes you made to your apache config we
won't be able to tell you what you did wrong.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
--
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

Re: [users@httpd] Geting rid of the ? in the URL

Posted by Rashmi Amlani <rr...@yahoo.com>.
I have already read and followed these drupal instructions but it still does'nt work. I do not know if this will help but even the clean url radio button is grayed out in the clean url configuration page. The clean url test however fails. Please help... I am running out of options now.

Re: [users@httpd] Geting rid of the ? in the URL

Posted by so...@apache.org.
Read the Drupal documentation for how to fix the configuration of Drupal:
http://drupal.org/node/15365

solprovider