Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ran Tavory <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/18 11:42:09 UTC

decommission and org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException: get_slice failed: unknown result

What's the correct way to remove a node from a cluster?
According to this page http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations a
decommission call should be enough.

When decommissioning one of the nodes from my cluster I see an error in the
client:

org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException: get_slice failed: unknown result
       at
org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Client.recv_get_slice(Cassandra.java:407)
       at
org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Client.get_slice(Cassandra.java:367)

The client isn't talking to the decommissioned node, it's connected to
another node, so I'd expect all operations to continue as normal (although
slower), right?

I simply called "nodetool -h ... decommission" on the host and waited. After
a while, while the node is still decommissioning I saw the error at the
client.

The current state of the node is Decommissioned and it's not in the ring
now. It is still moving streams to other hosts, though. I can't be sure,
though whether the error happened during the time it was Leaving the ring or
was it already Decommissioned.

The server logs don't show something of note (no errors or warnings).

What do you think?

Re: decommission and org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException: get_slice failed: unknown result

Posted by Ran Tavory <ra...@gmail.com>.
My decommission was progressing OK, although very slow, but I'll send
another question to the list about that...
The exception must be a hiccup, I hope I won't get it again I suppose...

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.