Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by noodles <ru...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/30 09:57:31 UTC

Using Only one partition to store object change log

HI Group:

I'm currently working to push object changes into external services. Now we
are trying to append the change record into a Kafka.

**My problem**

Only one partition can be created for one kind of data, so that the
sequence of change can be guaranteed. If I do like that, I guess I will
lost the performance and the load balance feature.

Do I need to worry about this problem?

--
*noodles!*

Re: Using Only one partition to store object change log

Posted by Steven Wu <st...@gmail.com>.
do you need total ordering among all events? or you just need ordering by
some partitionKey (e.g. events regarding one particular database key or
user id)? if it's the later, you can create multiple partitions and just
partition your events using the key to different kafka partitions.