Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2003/02/04 19:20:03 UTC

[jelly] move codebase to commons proper

The voting for moving Jelly to the commons proper was 11 +1s and 2 +0s with
no -1s.

Now that all the reorganisation work has been completed, it'd be a good time
to move the code over to the commons proper CVS repository. Does someone who
knows how to do this without loosing the history fancy volunteering to do
this for us? I'm both too scared and unsure how to do such a thing on Apache
:-)

I volunteer to update the gump descriptors & website once the moves been
completed.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: [jelly] move codebase to commons proper

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

> Assuming you want the same directory structure under jakarta-commons you
> have under jakarta-commons-sandbox, simply executing:
>
> cp -r jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly jakarta-commons/.

On icarus, 'man cp' doesn't show a '-r' option. Here's what I used to move
(copy) jexl to Commons Proper last night:

cp -R -n -p jakarta-commons-sandbox/jexl jakarta-commons/jexl

I've used this in the past, too (e.g. for FileUpload), without problems.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> wrote:
> Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
> > Assuming you want the same directory structure
> under jakarta-commons you
> > have under jakarta-commons-sandbox, simply
> executing:
> >
> > cp -r jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly
> jakarta-commons/.
> >
> > should suffice to move the files and yet preserve
> the history.  Later we
> > can do a CVS remove on the sandbox version. You
> may want to tar up
> > jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly first, just in case.
> >

> What if someone is in the middle of a CVS commit ?
> You may want to broadcast a 'do not COMMIT' message.

Not a problem.  We'll see the commit message and
re-apply the change to jakarta-commons.

> Also you may want to do a
> mv jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly
> jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly-hide

That's bad.  It's good to be CVS removed for a while
before you actually remove the directory from the
server; CVS clients need time to see the change, or
they assume it's a broken handle.

> First to stop any CVS operations from happening
> during the copy.
> This also runs the risk of corruption, but it is
> smaller.

Not necessary.

- Morgan

> -Rob

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://axion.tigris.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/watchdog

Re: [jelly] move codebase to commons proper

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.