Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by David J Woolley <dj...@bts.co.uk> on 1997/12/17 13:20:00 UTC

Re: os-sco/1562: BrowserMatch variable cause CGI failure: 'varia

The following reply was made to PR os-sco/1562; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "David J Woolley" <dj...@bts.co.uk>
To: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Cc: djw@bts.co.uk, Apache bugs database <ap...@apache.org>,
        coar@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: os-sco/1562: BrowserMatch variable cause CGI failure: 'varia
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 12:07:38 +0100

 > On 16 Dec 1997 coar@hyperreal.org wrote:

 > > Hmm.  Would you please reply with the exact BrowserMatch
 > > line from your configuration file?

 This is the last one I tried on MSIE 4; I cut out one variable
 because it wasn't documented except in the MSIE 4/ Java workaround
 and I thought Apache was rejecting it at the time:

 BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0" force-response-1.0

 I also tried:

 BrowserMatch "Lynx" force-response-1.0

 > This is a known problem (thought there was another PR about it... can't
 > find it right now) related to the use of a "-" in a variable name.  Some
 > shells do not accept that.  It needs to be changed in the Apache code.  A
 > temporary workaround would be to use a replacement shell that supports it
 > (eg. bash), however this can only be changed by recompiling Apache with
 > the SHELL_PATH define changed.

 This seems sufficient but not necessary.  SCO /bin/sh certainly
 doesn't parse variables with a - properly, but the error message
 observed can only be generated by using export, whereas the - would
 have produced an error on the assignment as well.

 # fred-1=jim
 fred-1=jim: not found
 # 'fred-1'=jim
 fred-1=jim: not found
 # export fred-1
 fred-1: is not an identifier
 # export fred
 # fred-1=jim /bin/echo
 fred-1=jim: not found
 # export fred-1=jim
 fred-1=jim: is not an identifier
 # fred=jim
 #

 As I indicated in the original report, marketing considerations that
 are outside the hands of a mere programmer, mean that the system sold
 will use SCO Fast Start and its included Netscape; I was using Apache
 for testing on the older SCO we had in this office, although
 personally I see no technical advantage in Netscape (the application
 is so CGI intensive that threads offer no advantage).  As such, I can
 work round by configuring MSIE not to use HTTP 1.1.

 --
 David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <dj...@bts.co.uk>
 BTS             Home: <da...@djwhome.demon.co.uk>