Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by ch...@honton.org on 2015/08/10 05:55:35 UTC

[VOTE] Release BCEL 6.0 based on RC4

  The last BCEL release (5.2) occurred in February of 2006.  It’s been
nine years since the last release and four years since the code was
transferred to commons.  Over this time, java byte code has been
enhanced with additional opcodes and dynamic language support.
Supporting these byte code changes is the most significant feature of
BCEL-6.0.

   BCEL 6.0 RC4 is available for review here:
     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/bcel (svn revision 10111)

   Maven artifacts are here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1104/org/apache/commons/commons-bcel6/6.0/

   Details of changes since 5.2 are in the release notes:
     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/bcel/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
     https://people.apache.org/~chas/bcel-6.0-RC4/changes-report.html

   I have tested this with JDK 1.7 using maven3.

   The tag is here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/bcel/tags/BCEL_6_0_RC4/
(svn revision 1694950)

   Site:
     https://people.apache.org/~chas/bcel-6.0-RC4/
   (note some *relative* links are broken - these should be OK once
the site is deployed)

   Clirr Report:
     N/A

   RAT Report:
     https://people.apache.org/~chas/bcel-6.0-RC4/rat-report.html

   KEYS:
   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

   Please review the release candidate and vote.
   This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after
1800 GMT 12 August 2015

   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
   [ ] +0 OK, but...
   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Thanks!
Chas

Re: [VOTE] Release BCEL 6.0 based on RC4

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 August 2015 at 18:06, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 5:35 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10 August 2015 at 13:17, Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > I'm not sure having the 6 in bcel6 is such a good idea. the prefix
>> already
>> > disambiguates the package name, so this isn't needed and is kind of
>> > limiting.
>>
>> The convention has been to tie the package/component names to the
>> major release version.
>>
>> However, I agree it's not necessary for the first API break, given
>> that we are changing to commons prefixes.
>>
>> We could drop the 6 now, and only add the major version suffix if a
>> further API-breaking major release is needed.
>>

> I asked for a Clirr report vs 5.2, so we'll see what that yields. The
> package name will have to be temporarily (or locally) changed back for that
> report to be built.

I wonder whether it is worth the effort.

There are a lot of areas of the code that could benefit from a code
change, so I think we are going to want to break the API anyway.

However if a report is required, I don't think the package names need
to be restored.
The jars can be built and then the Shade plugin can be used to fix up
the names for use with Clirr.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
I am currently -1 because of:

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Chas,

Thank you for preparing a release candidate.

-1

RAT says some license header are off:
https://people.apache.org/~chas/bcel-6.0-RC4/rat-report.html

@author tags should be removed.

Also, you need to provide a Clirr report based on the old package name
posted somewhere, so we can see what the BC breakage is and if the package
name change is required.

Long list of FindBugs issues.

Long list of Checkstyle issues.

Document the Java platform requirement clearly and early (or did I miss
it?).

Thank you again for preparing an RC, it is long overdue!

Gary

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 8:55 PM, <ch...@honton.org> wrote:

>  The last BCEL release (5.2) occurred in February of 2006.  It’s been nine
> years since the last release and four years since the code was transferred
> to commons.  Over this time, java byte code has been enhanced with
> additional opcodes and dynamic language support.  Supporting these byte
> code changes is the most significant feature of BCEL-6.0.
>
>   BCEL 6.0 RC4 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/bcel (svn revision
> 10111)
>
>   Maven artifacts are here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1104/org/apache/commons/commons-bcel6/6.0/
>
>   Details of changes since 5.2 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/bcel/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>     https://people.apache.org/~chas/bcel-6.0-RC4/changes-report.html
>
>   I have tested this with JDK 1.7 using maven3.
>
>   The tag is here:
>     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/bcel/tags/BCEL_6_0_RC4/
> (svn revision 1694950)
>
>   Site:
>     https://people.apache.org/~chas/bcel-6.0-RC4/
>   (note some *relative* links are broken - these should be OK once the
> site is deployed)
>
>   Clirr Report:
>     N/A
>
>   RAT Report:
>     https://people.apache.org/~chas/bcel-6.0-RC4/rat-report.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
>   Please review the release candidate and vote.
>   This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after 1800
> GMT 12 August 2015
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>
> Thanks!
> Chas

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release BCEL 6.0 based on RC4

Posted by ch...@honton.org.
The vote failed with two vetos:

[-1] Gary Gregory: Missing Clirr report, Long list of FindBugs and
Checkstyle issues.
[-1] Sebb: Several uses of deprecated methods and classes.  Now is the time to
remove any deprecated items.

I (and others) have created JIRAs for items mentioned in this thread.
Several contributors are working through the issues.  More help is
welcome!

regards,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
This VOTE thread still need to be canceled.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org>.
yes. definitely.