Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/02 22:51:49 UTC

Crazy idea...

Hi guys,

just had a crazy idea...

Mavibot currently does not support removal of old versions. We are
working on that. However, it could be interesting to use this 'feature'
: what about proposing a versionned LDAP server, in which we would keep
every version of the server, with the possibility to recover the
previous revisions, just by sending a control containing the revision
one is interested in ? I see no pb in implementing this control and
having it working...

We just need one addition to mavibot for that : the possibility to
gather many updates into one revision, instead of creating a new
revision for each update, and this should not be a real trouble to do that.

Thoughts ?

RE: Crazy idea...

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
>> the possibility to gather many updates into one revision, instead of creating a new revision for each update
This sounds reasonable. But itself looks complex enough and involves a lot of work right, even requiring API or protocol change.
On the other hand, if we have already support undo or rollback, I guess it could be good enough for an LDAP server.

I'm not familiar with this, just a thought.

Regards,
Kai

Re: Crazy idea...

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> just had a crazy idea...
>
> Mavibot currently does not support removal of old versions. We are

nope, we do support removal of old versions, just that currently it doesn't
keep
more than 5 old versions

> working on that. However, it could be interesting to use this 'feature'

yeap, its been a dream ;)

> : what about proposing a versionned LDAP server, in which we would keep
> every version of the server, with the possibility to recover the
> previous revisions, just by sending a control containing the revision
> one is interested in ? I see no pb in implementing this control and
> having it working...

 yeah, 'nice' to have, most of the required fabric is already present

> We just need one addition to mavibot for that : the possibility to
> gather many updates into one revision, instead of creating a new
> revision for each update, and this should not be a real trouble to do that.
>
> this is real work, currently every write results in one new version
and changing this requires significant changes.

we can still experiment the above mentioned control without changing mavibot
first and see, wdyt?

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com