Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Wilfredo Sánchez <ws...@wsanchez.net> on 2002/11/29 10:50:09 UTC

mod_auth_digest and updating the docs

   The configuration for mod_auth_digest changed recently such that the
AuthDigestFile directive no longer works.  This is not reflected in the
documentation, nor is it even mentioned in CHANGES that I can find.

   Can we please make it a habit to do both of these when appropriate?
All user-visible changes should be noted in CHANGES, and anything this
significant should be updated in the docs.

   Anyone working with HEAD has no straightforward way to figure out how
to configure the module now, which is weak.

	-wsv

Re: mod_auth_digest and updating the docs

Posted by Wilfredo Sánchez <ws...@wsanchez.net>.
On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 04:01  PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Yeah, it's mentioned implicitly with the aaa changes in CHANGES
> (almost every directive for our core aaa modules changed in subtle
> ways due to this rewrite).  That directive wasn't updated with the
> rest of the docs.  It just slipped through - it happens.
>
> The mod_authn_file docs says that it can be used with mod_auth_digest
> and mod_auth_basic.  The only catch is that the file format implicitly
> changes based on the front-end.  IMHO, that needs to be explained
> pretty clearly in the mod_authn_file/mod_authn_dbm docs.

   If someone could do that, I'd appreciated it.  I want to switch to
using it, so I can stay on HEAD, but right now all of my DAV stuff is
disabled because I can't figure out how to enable auth, though your
last email offers a clue.

> These little things probably reinforce my idea that the aaa changes
> shouldn't be on the 2.0 branch until it gets more developer and user
> feedback.  -- justin

   I agree with that.  This is a bit undercoooked for 2.0.
Additionally, once we ship a table .x release, we should really avoid
changes which break existing configurations until the next .y release,
IMO.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Friday, November 29, 2002 1:50 AM -0800 Wilfredo Sánchez