Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Jim Moores <ji...@opengamma.com> on 2009/08/26 15:17:41 UTC

Some suggestions for the tutorial

Hi,

I've been enjoying getting started with Ivy, and would like to start
by thanking all the contributors.  However, I have hit a couple of
problems that I thought could be easily avoided by future users.  Both
relate to the tutorial, and to, specifically, this build file:

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/samples/build.xml

The first is line 41:  <property name="ivy.install.version"
value="2.0.0-beta1" />

which meant that I spent quite a bit of time trying to get chain
resolvers working before realizing they don't function correctly in
2.0.0-beta1 (I assumed the file would be referencing the latest
release).

The second is this:

    <!-- =================================
          target: clean
         ================================= -->
    <target name="clean" description="--> clean the project">
        <delete includeemptydirs="true" quiet="true">
            <fileset dir="${src.dir}" />
            <fileset dir="${build.dir}" />
    	</delete>
    </target>

which because I added it to an existing project, deleted all my source
code and lost about a week's worth of work.  While I accept I
shouldn't have let it get in there, it might be useful to others to
change that to only deletes the generated Hello.java file as I suspect
that the example file will often be used as a template by beginners.

Best Regards,

Jim Moores