Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by janI <ja...@apache.org> on 2013/05/16 09:51:54 UTC

PO file contributions and names

Hi

I have now seen, what I think is a general misunderstanding, in several
mail threads.

When a non-committer submit a po file change, the name does not follow the
file:

a) file attached to bugzilla. The comment carry the name of the volunteer,
but once the file(s) leaves bugzilla the name is lost

b) file attached to mail private to a committer or to a list (zip). The
mail carry the name of the volunteer, but once the file(s) goes to pootle
the name is lost

c) Pootle online suggestion, the suggestion has the name of the volunteer,
when a committer accept the suggestion, the name stays. BUT when the po
files are generated the name is lost. The po files are later converted to
sdf files which are committed without the original name(s)

That PO files do not carry name(s) is consistent with the fact that we dont
write names in our source files.

In order to keep the pootle database effective, we will from time to time
empty it and reload the po files, so all records of suggestion etc. will be
lost. the Pootle DB is considered a secondary storage, the primary storage
is sdf files in svn. Remember we have an obligation to have all needed
files for a release marked in svn.

For source patches the volunteer get a life time credit, because we have a
rule about adding the name in the svn comment...but this is not done with
po files.

So I dont really get the discussion about crediting volunteers through
pootle. To me it is not crediting, at the most "counting" where we lack
both bugzilla and mail.

I feel very confident that we dont really need "counting" in order to judge
if a volunteer does a good or a splendid job.

just my opinion
jan I.

Re: PO file contributions and names

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 16/05/2013 janI wrote:
> So I dont really get the discussion about crediting volunteers through
> pootle. To me it is not crediting, at the most "counting" where we lack
> both bugzilla and mail.

Thanks for the information. Indeed, what we have will often be enough to
judge whether someone has made significant contributions or not. The
fact that we periodically refresh the Pootle database shouldn't be a
problem: we will notice who did the translation job when we approve the
suggestions, and this will be a huge step forward with respect to the
"anonymous only" model we would have been forced to adopt with the old
Pootle.

> I feel very confident that we dont really need "counting" in order to judge
> if a volunteer does a good or a splendid job.

Sure. We won't put a quantitative threshold. But the new Pootle will
allow us to see who did the bulk of the translation work into a language
and (when we have enough committers across all the languages) to judge
who is making high-quality contributions. And this can be the basis to
invite new committers.

Regards,
   Andrea.