Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@exoffice.com> on 2000/05/17 06:16:03 UTC

Installation tips

> > I tested Slide with five clients so far.
> >
> > - IE / Webfolders is the less tolerant. It breaks very easily so it's a
good
> > test case. It also makes very heavy use of COPY, MOVE, DELETE, which is
> > good thing.
> > - DAV Explorer is extremely tolerant. It supports locks very well.
> > - Cadaver is something in between.
> > - Word 2k has nasty behaviors with locks.
> > - I also tested with another editor (can't remember its name).
>
> Can you provide the setup instructions for the clients? I've tried DAV
Explorer
> without success so far, and I need some help.

The public CVS is working now ?

DAV Explorer is straightforward to setup. Unzip the zip file, and there is a
bat file.

Now the hard part : get Slide DAV up and running. It's quite difficult right
now (but I'm working on it). Read the README file at the root of the CVS
tree, and try to follow the instructions. Good luck. If you have a problem
with that part, don't hesitate to ask for help.

The external libraries which are needed :
- log4j
- Castor
- Xerces (needed by Castor and Slide)
- Hypersonic SQL if you want to avoid modifying the config files
- Random Jakarta stuff (Tomcat and Catalina, JAXP, and a JAXP compliant XML
parser)

I've encountered random issues with some versions of Xerces and Castor, so
if it doesn't work and the error seems related to XML parsing, try a
different version of those two.

You should then use Ant "dist" target.

There is something I forgot to document :
If it works, it will ask for an authentication. Catalina principals which
are defined in the conf/tomcat-users.xml. The name of the principal must
match the one in the Slide namespace (namespace = virtual filesystem).
The only one which is defined in both Slide and Catalina, with the default
configuration files is "root". You should use the login defined in the
Catalina config file, that is root/root.

> > There are some known compliance issues, like :
> > - Lock support is not really compliant yet.
> > - MKCOL is too tolerant
> > - The error reports from MOVE, COPY and DELETE are untested
> >
 > Any plans to implement the versioning specs?

Yes.
There is a little bit of work which has to be done on the content management
side before, but nothing really major.

However, the first DAV draft I'll implement is DAV ACL.

Remy

Re: Installation tips

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@exoffice.com>.
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

> > The public CVS is working now ?
>
> I've got the sources from Exolab CVS previously.

> > DAV Explorer is straightforward to setup. Unzip the zip file, and there
is a
> > bat file.
>
> OK, just to make sure we're talking about the same stuff. Can you give me
the
> URL of DAV explorer?

Here it is :
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~webdav/