Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Mitchel, Jennifer (Jem)" <mi...@lucent.com> on 2002/10/28 22:47:04 UTC

FW: mod_perl / PerlAuthenHandler question

Steve,

  I have no objection to replying to the mod_perl list.  I have no idea what is wrong & I am so new at all of this that the more people who might have an idea the better.

  I am running Apache 1.3.22 and mod_perl 1.21 on a Sun Solaris 2.6 machine.  I'm sure Apache and mod_perl are running as I can successfully grab that out of $ENV{SERVER_SOFTWARE}.  I'm using perl 5.005_03.

  I am trying use a .htaccess file to allow NT Authenitcation on a directory.  However, I am getting a server error

  > Syntax error on line 6 of /web/content/askLucent/password-reset/.htaccess:
      > Invalid command 'PerlAuthenHandler', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
      > module not included in the server configuration

Here are the contents of my .htaccess file

<Limit GET POST>
AuthName "NT Domain\Login and Password"
AuthType Basic
#PerlSetVar NT_Controllers 'na02il0015dc00:na02il0015dc01'
PerlSetVar NT_Controllers 'na02il0015dc04:na02il0015dc01:NA02IL0015DC02'
PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthenN2
require valid-user
</Limit>

I did build mod_perl with EVERYTHING=1 and did a make install and stopped & restarted Apache.  Printing out the SERVER_SOFTWARE environment variable it shows 'Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21'.  What else can I do to see if mod_perl works?

Jem

Posted by Alfred Vahau <al...@upng.ac.pg>.
> ... I am so new at all of this that the more people who might have an idea the better.

We've all had to start somewhere. The spirit of open source is global support.
Perhaps you might like to check the following from the mod_perl user guide.

http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/troubleshooting.html#Invalid_command__PerlHandler____

Reference is to httpd.conf file but in your case it's the .htaccess file.

Good luck

Alfred Vahau
Uni. PNG

Posted by Steve Piner <st...@marketview.co.nz>.
It sounds like mod_perl is installed and running OK. Quoting from
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#limit>:

   In the general case, access control directives
   should not be placed within a <limit> section.

Do you need the <limit> section? Can you run without it?

Steve

[...]

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Mitchel, Jennifer (Jem) wrote:
 > Steve,
 >
 > I have no objection to replying to the mod_perl list.  I have no idea what is wrong & I
 > am so new at all of this that the more people who might have an idea the better.
 >

 > I am running Apache 1.3.22 and mod_perl 1.21 on a Sun Solaris 2.6 machine.  I'm sure
 > Apache and mod_perl are running as I can successfully grab that out of
 > $ENV{SERVER_SOFTWARE}.  I'm using perl 5.005_03.
 >
 > I am trying use a .htaccess file to allow NT Authenitcation on a directory.  However, I
 > am getting a server error
 >
 >> Syntax error on line 6 of /web/content/askLucent/password-reset/.htaccess: Invalid
 >> command 'PerlAuthenHandler', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included
 >> in the server configuration

that's an Apache error saying that the config directive 'PerlAuthenHandler' isn't
recognized by anyone.  this generally means that mod_perl isn't installed or that you
didn't build with EVERYTHING=1, both of which you say you did.

so... you showed us that mod_perl is installed, but not how it was built.  why don't you
verify that you have the right hook by setting up /perl-status and taking a peek around.
see the Apache::Status manpage or recipe 1.14 in the cookbook:

http://www.modperlcookbook.org/chapters/ch01.pdf

you will want to check /perl-status?hooks and make sure that PerlAuthenHandler is marked
as enabled.  of course, you'll need to comment out the offending line in your httpd.conf
first :)

if PerlAuthenHandler comes back as enabled but you still get that error after restoring
your original configuration, let us know and we'll try something else.

HTH

--Geoff