Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Robert Gordon <rw...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/12 16:22:52 UTC

Page breaks

Hello, I use openoffice for composing my manuscripts, and I've run into a
problem with the page breaks. OpenOffice adds them after the first page
without my asking, and even though I remove them in the paragraph settings,
they constantly re-occur whenever I re-open the document. Is there a way to
stop OpenOffice from inserting page breaks permanently?

PS: I've searched the forums and have not found a satisfactory answer.

Re: Page breaks

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:05:49 +1100
Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM> wrote:

> On 13/12/17 3:22 AM, Robert Gordon wrote:
> > Hello, I use openoffice for composing my manuscripts, and I've run into a
> > problem with the page breaks. OpenOffice adds them after the first page
> > without my asking, and even though I remove them in the paragraph settings,
> > they constantly re-occur whenever I re-open the document.
>
> Removing from the paragraph setting is just one step. You have to make
> sure that the AutoUpdate flag is set in the Organiser tab.
> Then you also need to check that the paragraph has default settings
> select the paragraph and go to Format -> Default Formatting.
>
> >   Is there a way to
> > stop OpenOffice from inserting page breaks permanently?
>
> No, you can't stop something that hasn't started, OpenOffice doesn't add
> anything unless you tell it to do something.
>

> > PS: I've searched the forums and have not found a satisfactory answer.

On forum this user posted a sample file in this thread
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=91567#p433946
It had been saved in .doc format and one paragraph style had been modified to force a page break, using page style Convert 1.  Saving the file as .odt format removed the page break, but then resaving as .doc the unwanted page break reoccurred there was also a page style Convert 1 that could not be removed.

Examination of the odt content.xml file showed some strange XML tags.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Page breaks

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.