Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com> on 2006/08/31 00:01:40 UTC

SVN Externals Cont'd

Last week I asked about svn externals and received many useful tips from you
guys and I ran it on couple of test projects and it worked fine.

Today I took a chance on the production environment and it's not looking
good.
I cd'd to my working folder and try to execute and import/symlink 3
subfolders.  See the succession of commands.  But at the end only 1 of the
folders is really a symlink. How can I do multiple links?

ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders (a, b, c, d ...)

I would like 3 subfolders (a, b, and c) of manysubfolders to be symlinked
into ProjA/subfolder1, in other words, parallel to subfolder2. So I cd into
ProjA/subfolder1 and run

c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn propset svn:externals "a
http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/a" .

property 'svn:externals' set on '.'

c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn propset svn:externals "b
http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/b" .

property 'svn:externals' set on '.'

c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn propset svn:externals "c
http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/c" .

property 'svn:externals' set on '.'

c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn ci -m "comment"

Sending        subfolder1

Committed revision 33370.

c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn status
x        c
?        a
?        b

NOT SURE HOW I CAN GET THIS TO WORK.

Re: SVN Externals Cont'd

Posted by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks again :)

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Re: SVN Externals Cont'd

Posted by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com>.
Ok, I see what I was doing wrong: propset is sorta like the set command in
Win/*nix where it overwrites the previous values?

So, do I have to be in the target directory (c:\ProjA/subfolder1>) to
execute the command?

>svn propedit svn: external -what goes here?--

>Last week I asked about svn externals and received many useful tips from
>you guys and I ran it on couple of test projects and it worked fine.
>
>Today I took a chance on the production environment and it's not looking
>good.
>I cd'd to my working folder and try to execute and import/symlink 3
>subfolders.  See the succession of commands.  But at the end only 1 of the
>folders is really a symlink. How can I do multiple links?
>
>ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders (a, b, c, d ...)
>
>I would like 3 subfolders (a, b, and c) of manysubfolders to be symlinked
>into ProjA/subfolder1, in other words, parallel to subfolder2. So I cd into
>ProjA/subfolder1 and run
>
>c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn propset svn:externals "a
>http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/a" .
>
>property 'svn:externals' set on '.'
>
>c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn propset svn:externals "b
>http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/b" .
>
>property 'svn:externals' set on '.'
>
>c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn propset svn:externals "c
>http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/c" .
>
>property 'svn:externals' set on '.'
>
>c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn ci -m "comment"
>
>Sending        subfolder1
>
>Committed revision 33370.
>
>c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn status
>x        c
>?        a
>?        b
>
>NOT SURE HOW I CAN GET THIS TO WORK.

Each of your successive propset commands erased the previous setting.  You
want to use svn propedit to edit the collection of them.  If you use
propset, you have to set them all in one command, and with a multi-line
value, it's hard.  So use propedit.

BTW, they're not called symlinks.  Call them external checkouts, as symlinks
have a very specific meaning, separate from Subversion.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: SVN Externals Cont'd

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Re: SVN Externals Cont'd

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
"Res Pons" <po...@hotmail.com> wrote on 08/30/2006 08:01:40 PM:

> Last week I asked about svn externals and received many useful tips from
you
> guys and I ran it on couple of test projects and it worked fine.
>
> Today I took a chance on the production environment and it's not looking

> good.
> I cd'd to my working folder and try to execute and import/symlink 3
> subfolders.  See the succession of commands.  But at the end only 1 of
the
> folders is really a symlink. How can I do multiple links?
>
> ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders (a, b, c, d ...)
>
> I would like 3 subfolders (a, b, and c) of manysubfolders to be
symlinked
> into ProjA/subfolder1, in other words, parallel to subfolder2. So I cd
into
> ProjA/subfolder1 and run
>
> c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn propset svn:externals "a
> http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/a" .
>
> property 'svn:externals' set on '.'
>
> c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn propset svn:externals "b
> http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/b" .
>
> property 'svn:externals' set on '.'
>
> c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn propset svn:externals "c
> http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/c" .
>
> property 'svn:externals' set on '.'
>
> c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn ci -m "comment"
>
> Sending        subfolder1
>
> Committed revision 33370.
>
> c:\ProjA/subfolder1>svn status
> x        c
> ?        a
> ?        b
>
> NOT SURE HOW I CAN GET THIS TO WORK.

Every command is replacing the previous value.  You need to load these
values in to a file:

a http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/a
b http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/b
c http://ProjA/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3/manysubfolders/c