Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Knight, Doug" <dk...@mitre.org> on 2009/10/06 21:47:37 UTC

Configuring javascript-based app to connect to remote JMS topic

Hi all,
I have recently created an app in JavaScript that subscribes to and consumes a topic offer by the local ActiveMQ MB, using the Jetty server that came with ActiveMQ. What I want to do is modify the configuration to tell the JavaScript app to connect to a remote ActiveMQ MB instead of the local one. Both servers are on the same network. I access the web app using something like:

http://localhost:8163/ClientPrototype/process.html?select=15

I pretty much just copied the jetty definition in the activemq.xml file like so:

    <jetty xmlns="http://mortbay.com/schemas/jetty/1.0">
        <connectors>
            <nioConnector port="8163"/>
        </connectors>

        <handlers>
            <webAppContext contextPath="/ClientPrototype" resourceBase="${activemq.base}/webapps/ClientPrototype" logUrlOnStart="true"/>
        </handlers>
    </jetty>

I maintain the JavaScript under C:\apache-activemq-5.2.0\webapps\ClientPrototype. The WEB-INF folder still exists just as it did in the delivered binary ActiveMQ package. To try to get the servlet to talk to a remote MB, I modified the web.xml as follows:

    <!-- context config -->
    <context-param>
        <param-name>org.apache.activemq.brokerURL</param-name>
        <param-value>tcp://jetdev1.mitre.org:61616</param-value>
        <!-- <param-value>vm://localhost</param-value> -->
        <description>The URL of the Message Broker to connect to</description>
    </context-param>

I didn't change anything else in the web.xml file from the version that came with the distro. What else do I need to change to get the servlet talking to a remote ActiveMQ topic? If there's any additional info needed let me know and I'll provide it.

Thanks,
Doug