Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Mauricio Tavares <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/17 18:58:47 UTC

payment.properties vs AccountingTypeData.xml

What is the difference between these two files as far as payment
gateways are concerned? At first glance they both seem to provide the
"constant" (host, port, userID, etc) values for each payment gateway.
But, I could be confused as always. :)

Re: payment.properties vs AccountingTypeData.xml

Posted by Mauricio Tavares <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Jacques Le Roux
<ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:
> payment.properties : mostly used by Java code
> AccountingTypeData.xml : to be loaded on DB (seed data)
> look for <entity-resource type="data" reader-name="seed" loader="main"
> location="data/AccountingTypeData.xml"/>

      I was looking in (as some of you are aware of)
PcChargeServices.java and it almost makes me feel it would be able to
read the data in from the database. In fact, I would consider
rewriting buildPccProperties() to do just that. I mean, isn't it doing
about the same as getApi()?

From: "Mauricio Tavares" <ra...@gmail.com>

Posted by Mauricio Tavares <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:
> The properties have been mostly moved to the database for 'easier'
> configuration (I don't really see the ease to be honest).  So
> payment.properties is still supported but I guess you could say deprecated
> and the PaymentGatewayConfig entities are the new way to configure the
> payment gateways.

      I can live with either of them once I know where to put the poor
data in. But, I will say I too like the old style more.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Yes, that's a good point. It's also a good distinction between what works well for end-users (in the database) and what works well for developers (in a revision-controlled file).

That's the reason why I'm not a big fan of the idea of putting form definitions and the like in the database.

In general the direction we're headed with OFBiz, ie to put technical-level config in files and user-level config in the database, is compatible with this. However, sometimes technical people are responsible for some of the user-level configuration. In fact, IMO people are sometimes too optimistic about what end-users can even configure without getting help, and that blurs this line a lot...

-David

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.