Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Peter A. Pilgrim" <pe...@xenonsoft.demon.co.uk> on 2004/09/08 08:12:09 UTC

[ANN] Bridgetown IoC Framework

Hi

I have been quietly working on my own Inversion of Control lightweight
framework over the last couple of months.

My itch was scratched when I suddenly realised that ``Commons BeanUtils''
and ``Common Digester'' could be simply combined together into a
bean assembly factory. An assembly factory could manage service beans
in a lightweight container. Services could then be retrieved
by name, and one doesn't have to worry about connecting
different services together. Experiments showed that this idea
was pretty cool and have implemented property and method dependency
injection (aka ``BeanUtils'' and ``MethodUtils''). [Constructor
injection is on the todo list. ]

I am at the point where the current codebase is stable enough for development,
but if I want the container to be more useful, then I need to open-
source the project. It would allow others to write Dynamic proxy
service beans, integrate with Struts 1.2/2+, or extend with AOP library,
or whatever persistence layer EJB 3.0 decides to become. It cannot be down
by just one man writing software. As an independent consultant I simply
have not got the time to build everything.

Moreover, I intend to follow the Struts style ``open integration''
philosophy that should allow Bridgetown IoC container to be added
any other framework. (I intend add support to the Expresso Framework in
the near term, since I am a core committer there)

So my simple IoC Test Container became ``Bridgetown IoC''. I uploaded the
source code to ``Sourceforge'' and slapped on it an Apache License 2.0
badge. The software is ALPHA quality but it compiles and run
with Eclipse SDK 3, and there are junit test and a couple of examples.

	`` http://bridgetown.sf.net ''  is the hook.

I'd like publicly thank the man, Craig McClanahan, for his two inventions
`BeanUtils' and `Digester'. Without those two components it just wouldn't
have happened.

Enjoy baby bop#

--
Peter Pilgrim