Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Clever Bit <cl...@vsnl.com> on 2003/05/17 16:50:11 UTC

How to call JamesMBean in Windows

Hello Friends

I am running James on a Windows 98 machine.
I am designing a front end in Visual Basic to Add Users to James.

Currently I am connecting to RemoteManager at port 4555 and using WinSock to
issue commands.
But this is very slow.

Is it possible to directly call a PUBLIC James Java class like
AddUser(username, password)
from within VB directly? or from Windows Application.
Do I need to register this Class / Object / COM?

Is there such an interface available (API Interface)

I read the JamesMBean.Java source code quoted below

/**
 * An interface to expose James management functionality through JMX.  At
 * the time of this writing, this interface is just an example.
 */
public interface JamesMBean {

    /**
     * Adds a user to this mail server.
     */
    boolean addUser(String userName, String password);
}

How do I use this Bean from other Windows based application ? Can some one
please guide me.

What is JMX?

Thanks
- Sumeet

RE: How to call JamesMBean in Windows

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Currently I am connecting to RemoteManager at port 4555 and using WinSock
> issue commands.  But this is very slow.

Does it need to be fast?  What are you doing with it?

> Is it possible to directly call a PUBLIC James Java class like
> AddUser(username, password)

See the RMI proposal in the source code.

> from within VB directly? or from Windows Application.
> Do I need to register this Class / Object / COM?

Do-able, but not something that we support.

> Is there such an interface available (API Interface)

Yes.  It is written in Java.

> I read the JamesMBean.Java source code quoted below

> What is JMX?

See: http://java.sun.com/jmx.  It is the long term future for Java
application management interfaces.

	--- Noel